1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Social Media Marketing (SMM) exploiting the social media?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by askdguru, Dec 22, 2008.

Hey ppl....I was recently introduced to the world of SMM.....a very fascinating yet challenging aspect of marketing in the modern era. I, still being new to the concept was thinking from a participant's point of view.

I mean say if I have a face book account and companies are trying to promote their products / services to me by just "barging in to" my account, I would really feel defensive and might take an instant dislike to that particular company.

In short, I just want to question the ethicality and the feasibility of this form of marketing.

askdguru, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  2. Ian Seth

Ian Seth Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is that those companies aren't doing "good" SSM. Web 2.0 is about communities and in a comunity You can't just spam people. You have to share Your thoughts and ideas first. Comunicate first then sell.
    It's like in here. Imagine someone coming in and in the first post that person started imediatly trying to sell stuff to us... that would be umplesant! But if that person would first contribute with opinions, questions and answears then it's ok to promote something of value. Hope it helps!

Ian Seth, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  3. askdguru

askdguru Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey...let me first thank u for the reply....ya very true...it would be real unpleasant if ppl just cum n start promoting their stuff....but I still feel social media is a place where u socialize with ppl....n not socialize wit the ulterior motive of a profit in mind.....it just defeats the purpose of a social site... come on you wont go to a friend's party, climb on d stage, announce yourself & start selling your product....

askdguru, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  4. SeniorScrapper

SeniorScrapper Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi, Social media is all about socializing with other people and giving upvote or downvote is all depends on the content. Web 2.0 allows the user to make their own judgement and according to that only, you can vote others stuff.

SeniorScrapper, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  5. askdguru

askdguru Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I am sorry but i could not comprehend what you are trying to state...could you be more explicit....I mean if you explain in detail...

Cheers

askdguru, Dec 26, 2008 IP