1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there any CMS for my this kind of website?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by glitto, Aug 18, 2008.

I am running a mobile sms and English quotations site called www.smsbucket.com

Currently the site is using pure html. Everything is maintained manually.

But now I am tired of doing it manually, I want to upgrade it to automatic.

I mean something like I go to control panel, select a category, write a sms and hit the PUBLISH/SUBMIT kind of button and it will automatically go to that category and write that sms there.

Is there any way to automate my site? someone suggested me to use wordpress but my site is not a blog, its a website.. can I still use wordpress? and also my site will not have "comments" and wordpress comes with "comments" so how will it work with my site? :rolleyes:

Hope you understand my question and guide me how to upgrade my site.

Thanks

Glitto

glitto, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  2. MrEsper

MrEsper Banned

Best Answers:
    I dunno about a CMS but i like your site. Have added to my bookmarks :)

MrEsper, Aug 19, 2008 IP
  3. supercpanel

supercpanel Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

With a proper theme you can surely use wordpress to host your site and I assure you that it wont look like a blog.

If you want to continue with your current layout then you should probably ask a freelancer to make a custom blog for you which can get integrated into your sites design.

Regards,
    Manu
    (Admin - SuperCpanel.com)

supercpanel, Aug 19, 2008 IP
  4. Samuel72

Samuel72 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Glitto,

You can try Joomla (visit joomla.org). Its a very easy to use CMS, free as an open source application. Full featured, lots of free plugin to use without pay more money. Good community support if you have any problem and need an answers. You can also found lots of free theme so you can change the default theme, or if you like you can buy a proffesional theme.

But the main reason why I offer you this is because lots of hosting provider already have this in their Cpanel (look inside fantastico link) so you can install and try it right away. If your hosting using Cpanel then I can assume you already have it in your cpanel. You can use the 1.1.x version but I suggest you use the 1.5.6 with latest security patch. First you can install it in another folder then play with it for short time and you can decide how easy to create category and write an article then press the submit button.

I just visit your website. I like it. I think you can add a free membership section in your website so you can keep track your visitor. And also you can contact them using newsletter. You can also add a RSS feed. You can have all of this feature from joomla.

Samuel72, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  5. glitto

glitto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Samuel, Thank you for your guidance.

I tried installing joomla on my another site and it is exactly what I wanted :)

But after seeing how joomla works I got some more questions.

1. Can I use the current template of my site or I will have to choose some other template?

2. In future if I want to add any new thing on my site, will it be easy to do so? for example if I add "Latest Topics from our forum" on the left side on homepage, will it be easy to put it there?

Also, do you know how to convert my site to Joomla? How much would it cost if I hire a coder?

Thanks
    Glitto

glitto, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  6. alunsina

alunsina Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi!

Your current template needs to be converted to a joomla template. You may need help with that. Theres a step by step instruction somewhere. Should be easy to find. I dont exactly know how to do that being a joomla novice myself. There are also a lot of free or paid templates floating around. If you decide for a new look, this should be the way to go.

As for adding new things on your site, it should be extremely easy. All you have to do is a download a certain module, upload and install, enable it and position it whereever you like.

alunsina, Aug 21, 2008 IP