1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is This Site Worth Keeping/Growing?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by msj484, Apr 11, 2016.

Hey all,

I am thinking about selling a WP site that I have. Below are some of the characteristics associated with it:

Revenue: $140-150 per month from adsense ads
    Traffic: 35,000 per month (75% organic and 14% direct)
    Upkeep: Minimal... no work is really required to maintain the site

I guess this could be a good website to just keep and making a constant revenue from, but part of me things that it I sell it and get it out of my website portfolio it will be easier to focus on more productive and interesting projects.

Sure I could grow it to be much bigger, but I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort. If you were in my shoes... what would you to? All suggestions and opinions appreciated. Thanks.

msj484, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Honestly it's a buyers market. If it requires little work and it's earning you a passive income I'd keep it.

dcristo, Apr 11, 2016 IP
    billzo likes this.
  3. msj484

msj484 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really? OK. I haven't sold a site in a few years and usually when I sell sites they are much bigger than this. There is basically no work required but maybe I should change my mindset and look to grow it to produce $500, $1,000+ per month. Interesting...

I'm curious, why do you say it's a buyers market?

msj484, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You can do that, or do nothing and just earn the passive income. In 12-months time you'll be glad you didn't sell the site, because you will still be getting income from it.

Why do I think it's a buyers market? Well, because it is. Speak to an accountant and see how offline businesses are valued. The value of online businesses pale in comparison.

The biggest mistakes I've made online has unquestionably been selling revenue-generating websites. Sell only if you desperately need the cash, because you are not getting its true value a lot of the time. Yeah yeah yeah people will say it's only worth what someone will pay for it but meh I am just being honest with you.

dcristo, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  5. msj484

msj484 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You make some fine points, and I really appreciate you taking the time. It sounds like your suggestion would be to just keep this site, leave it alone... and start the next project. Good point. Thanks again.

msj484, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dumb thread. You have a site that makes 1800 a year with no work yet you haven't thought about actually tryin to make money with it........... If you sell it you are just passing along simple guaranteed revenue....why? Again dumb thread and logic...

NetStar, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  7. msj484

msj484 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was really hoping that this type of response wouldn't come in, but I guess it's to be expected with so many opinions of what a successful website is. I won't fault you or call you "dumb" because of your opinion... so I'll just thank you instead.

Additionally, you mentioned that I haven't thought about actually trying to make money... the question I asked was "If you were in my shoes... what would you to?". If you're in the mood later on to answer the question instead of assuming that you have ZERO idea about is dumb... please feel free to do so. Thanks again.

msj484, Apr 11, 2016 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  8. Frost1

Frost1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You say it requires little to no work to maintain but you also say it'll be easier to focus on other projects if you let it go. I don't see why you can't keep it and invest the time you do have into your other projects. Honestly, I'd just keep it unless I think the revenue will die down in some months if the site does not get the attention I'm unable to give it.

Frost1, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  9. msj484

msj484 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Frost1: I appreciate that perspective, and I've asked this same question a few other places and everyone pretty much says the same thing... I should just keep it. Interesting viewpoint and it's starting to make sense.

To be honest, I think at this point I want to make more than $4-5 per day from a site that gets 1,000+ visitors. If I got that number to even double or triple... I might consider making this site huge to the point of getting 10,000+ users per day like I've done with other sites.

msj484, Apr 11, 2016 IP