1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Tumblr worth using for marketing?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Wulkan91, Aug 6, 2010.

Hey, I've been using tumblr some months ago and I soon reached about 2500 followers.
    It wasn't that hard since I posed funny things which attracted alot of people.
    My overall feeling about tumblr is that it is really difficult to convert traffic via affiliate links etc. For every post I did, I made about 30-70 clicks on the link which I provided below every post. Few of them actually bought the product.

Have you ever tried or are you using currently tumblr as a resource for marketing?
    If so, do you have anything to say about it?

I'm currently not posting on tumblr.

Wulkan91, Aug 6, 2010 IP
  2. mlandmark

mlandmark Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I would say it has been worth it, Tumblr is in the top 10 of site's that refer traffic to mine and it has been growing each month.

The only thing is that I would recommend to people is to be legit on Tumblr, they have a very active posting community and if they sense your full of BS it won't work but if you are active and post cool things (like the OP stated above about posting funny things) you'll get a lot of re-blogs (where other Tumblr's repost your post) and some of your posts could go viral in a sense.

mlandmark, Aug 7, 2010 IP
  3. Wulkan91

Wulkan91 Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I catually created a photo (http://avambo.tk/post/595212957/just-walkin-down-the-road-loljk) that got over 3k re-blogs in one day. But i didnt use tumblr for marketing back then. Also, it is verry difficult for me to convert traffic from funny stuff.

Does anyone know if CPA works well on tumblr? I mean, if i post something funny and then leave a link at the bottom saying something like "See Bush naked" but they have to fill out a form to see it? Maybe that'll work?

Wulkan91, Aug 7, 2010 IP
  4. Hollow

Hollow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tumblr is heavily populated by 14-16 year old philosophers who like to bitch about how their hair color doesn't conform with their pseudobisexuality while they are tumblin away their time till the happy hour comes to get a raise in allowance from their parents. Even with that money, tumblrs are not going to buy your affiliate products, but most likely purchase cigarettes and lipstick for the sole purpose of snapping a self shot so it can get reblogged by the same prototypes. See, you'd have to think very much outside the box with these kind of userbase. Placing a link to an affiliate will not do much for you. Keep in mind though that they work like little robots rebloggin everything that looks 'cool' (fuckyeahinsertimagewithhelveticatexthere), so use that to your advantage; if not direct sales from tumblr, at least you'll get some kind of viral exposure if you do it right. (the dailywhat for example runs on tumblr, and was eventually purchased by the cheezburger network).

ps. that lolcat of yours is funny :D

Hollow, Aug 7, 2010 IP
  5. Wulkan91

Wulkan91 Member

Best Answers:
    Haha, yeah, sounds like you are familiar with tumblr as well. Though CPA should work pretty well with tumblr when I whink about it.
    And thanks for likin the cat, apparently 6k other "14-16 year old philosophers" liked it as well xD

Wulkan91, Aug 7, 2010 IP
  6. goraikkonen

goraikkonen Peon

Best Answers:
    tumblr is definitely growing, and if I were you I would focus on growing your user base. That could be worth something in a year or two (or less)

goraikkonen, Aug 7, 2010 IP