1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is WP going to work for me?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by ProZero, Oct 14, 2012.

Hey everyone,

I have been working on my CityGuide website (for example about Chicago) for about 1.5 years now. The website is still offline and it is made in basic HTML/CSS without any CMS. The project was growing and growing and eventually I ended up with 135 pages. Then I started thinking about a CMS because if I want to change something now in, for example, the footer, I have to change all the 135 pages. The design I now use is a very simple and basic one, if I am going to take the step to use a CMS I also want to improve the design. Below are more details. The core of my question is: is WordPress the right CMS for the job?

Design:
    http://i.imgur.com/LYrIV.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/cEgbV.png (The designs are bits and pieces gathered from other designs from Joomla, WordPress and more)

Features:
    - Social media buttons below every page
    - Facebook like box and twitter feed in the right sidebar
    - SEO friendly URLS
    - Possibility to add Adsense adds throughout the content
    - On the homepage a photo-slider with info-boxes below it
    - Breadcrumb lists on each page
    - The whole website must be static, I do not want to see ‘posts', ‘recently posted’ or 'author'
    - Facebook comment area under certain pages
    - The possibility to change the menu/footer/header without having to change ALL pages of my website

Structure:
    3 different pages:
    - Homepage: the photo slider a couple info-boxes below it
    - Infobox page: this is where you go when you click on an item from the main navigation menu on the left. An example could be "Museums --> Guggenheim"
    - Content page: the page with the actual content

More info:
    I am still not sure whether I should use WordPress or Drupal. This is the basic idea for the website:

I am planning to launch this 135-pages website, which is a tourist website (cityguide). The menu on the left sidebar is going to be main navigation menu. This menu is divided into 5 different sections: Welcome, Staying, Food and Drinks, Active and Accessibility. Examples of items in "Active" are: What to see, Museums, Shopping, Hiking. When the visitor clicks on 'Museums' I want the website to take them to the 'infoboxes' page with all the different museums on it, from there they continue to the museum they want more information about.

There will be an additional navigation menu on the top (not a dropdown menu), items that are displayed here are for example Home, News, About us and Contact.

One extra question:
    I have looked at the prices for PSD to WordPress but I have also checked out the prices for a custom theme. What would be the best thing to do? And how do I get in touch with the right people?

Thank you for reading through my post!

Yours sincerely,
    Walter

Attached Files:

• ex1.jpg
      ex1.jpg
      File size:
      95.9 KB
      Views:
    • ex2.jpg
      ex2.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
    ProZero, Oct 14, 2012 IP
  2. zubizubi

zubizubi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely it would work for you. You must have experience in this field, this is the only condition.

zubizubi, Oct 16, 2012 IP
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How come you are not using includes to reuse existing code like headers and footers and such? That's basic design.

I don't think Wordpress would be suitable for you. Wordpress is very bloated to begin with and it wasn't designed to do what you want to do. Is it possible? Sure, you can pound on a square peg until you distort it enough to shove through a round hole. But to get what you want, exactly what you want, you are best to code it yourself.

Is Facebook built using Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, or another CMS? No.

billzo, Oct 16, 2012 IP
  4. technolabsoftware

technolabsoftware Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi definately wordpress will work you must have to use jQuery & Responsive design to get more business from your website.

technolabsoftware, Oct 17, 2012 IP
  5. wpcyrus

wpcyrus Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, wordpress will surely work for you, i can even help you if you want. I had been working with wordpress since 2009 so i know a lot on how this wordpress works.

wpcyrus, Oct 22, 2012 IP