1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It is great to see an old school forum like this one still around

Discussion in 'General Business' started by phoenixtropicals, Jul 24, 2023.

Its hard for independent forums to survive these days. I have a php gardening forum and its absolutely dead because everyone has moved to facebook. Which is actually pretty bad because any content you put there is just working for them ... for free. Good job Digital Point! I look forward to contributing here because well ... your not Facebook. Couldn't find a better forum for this post btw.

phoenixtropicals, Jul 24, 2023 IP
    jrbiz and sarahk like this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    the loss of information because people are using discord and facebook is going to be really interesting. Will Google still have access? Will the scrapers used to fuel AI still have access?

For some things the info is so time dependant that it doesn't matter if it gets lost once it's obsolete but your example of gardening, presumably the usefulness of the information posted is timeless?

sarahk, Jul 24, 2023 IP
  3. phoenixtropicals

phoenixtropicals Active Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree. I hadn't thought about the fact that you can't see the page unless you have a facebook login. That is a good point.

phoenixtropicals, Jul 25, 2023 IP
  4. wMarketingD

wMarketingD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Facebook and other social platforms are good for pictures and videos but for information it sucks. If you want a good response and insightful information, forums like this are the place.

wMarketingD, Jul 26, 2023 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, I long for the good old days of listservs. :)

jrbiz, Jul 28, 2023 IP
  6. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Q&A sites like StackOverflow must have made a big impact on tech forums. For both sites that that and forums, probably a good chunk of members, once they've got an answer to their question won't be seen again

SpacePhoenix, Jul 28, 2023 IP
  7. phoenixtropicals

phoenixtropicals Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've used stack overflow a lot, because I am developer. However, when I tried to contribute I ran into a lot of territorial trolls. ha ha

phoenixtropicals, Jul 28, 2023 IP