1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jerry Springer - The Opera

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Weirfire, Jan 7, 2005.

I dont know if any of you have already seen this at the theatre but it is scheduled to be shown on BBC2 tomorrow night in the UK.

It portrays Jesus and his disciples as homosexuals during the set which is purely offensive to Christians such as myself.

The part that maddens me the most is that the license fees I pay every year help fund this programme if it gets shown tomorrow night (January 8th)!!

If any of you agree with me I would urge you to send an email to info at bbc.co.uk and complain about it.

I would be grateful for any other views on this programme, especially those that have seen it at the theatre already.

Weirfire, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well those that say that sort of thing have the problem themselves and wish to promote the lifestyle.

So just shut it off and don't fall for the propaganda, it is that simple, the more you think about it, the more it will affect you.

anthonycea, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Of course you can just not watch it which I am sure is exactly what weir would do if it was on any other channel.

Unfortunately, you don't get the option of not paying your TV license which means you are paying for that show to be on.

yfs1, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Peon

Best Answers:
    Not that I want to upset anyone here - but as a 'non christian' my licence fee also goes towards making 'songs of praise' and other christian programs...

I've heard the stage show was very funny indeed...

DangerMouse, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Very good point DangerMouse. But same for WeirFire's arguments.

Not paying your license fee is the only option but then the government rip off scumbags fine you and eventually put you away.

WeirFire defends his believe but Jerry Springer, even though probably taking the Mickey, has the irght to voice his. If he believes Jezus & co are gay then that's fine too. That's the thing with believes and religion. No one has it right (or wrong one could argue).

Contacting the BBC is indeed the least thing you can do.

T0PS3O, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  6. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    LOL @ DangerMouse - absolutely spot-on, my fellow heathen/infidel :D

IMHO The BBC is doing a good job. The BBC is far better value pound for pound than anything Rupert Murdoch would steal your candy for. And it's in all our interests to try keep the BBC as independant and as unbiased as possible and out of the clutches of biased media moguls and politicians who would use it for their own agendas.

Anyway, shouldn't you be more concerned with the Scottish Parliament - for a country of 5 million people the cost went up from GBP50M to GBP431M - the "Jerry Springer Opera" is a flash-in-the-pan when compared to the monstrosity that will blight your landscape for many years to come.

Lever, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Good point, in the States we have equal access on the cable stations, they are forced by law to give air time to ANYONE, for any message on the public forum segments.

8. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Don't get me wrong...the religious shows are the other side of the coin and I also wouldn't want to pay for those (I have no religion myself). I absolutely hate the idea of a TV liscence to begin with and yes you are right, there are a million different wastes of money.

This particular thread is about the TV liscence in particular (easy anthony, I see a tangent brewing).

yfs1, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  9. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    And who gets the most airtime? Those that can pay more?

Lever, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  10. yfs1

Best Answers:
    You don't have to pay. Every community has a Public Access channel and although the quality can be a little low, it certainly produces interesting TV at times. Heres an example : http://www.albany.edu/cuyt/HH/carlapaige2.html
    or a station: http://www.mnntv.com/

(I am a NY'er by birth)

yfs1, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  11. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    What, to air your views on US TV? So what does this mean, what gets shown during this airtime - cranks & crackpots spring to mind :eek:

Lever, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  12. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Are you kidding? Those are the best shows!!!

yfs1, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  13. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    LOL OK :) And that all goes nicely full circle back to Jerry Springer once again... To give it it's credit - at least this "Jerry Springer Opera" has sparked an interesting debate amongst us, as opposed to the trivial eye candy that spews out of most channels and inspires... not much.

Keep paying your license fee, Weirfire. Don't forget to get your money's worth by watchng "Songs o' Praise" every week :D

Lever, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    No the cable systems have public segments, they provide free air time for amateur TV show producers. By law they have to offer this time to the public for free as a public service.

So if you want to produce the Lever Rap Video Show you can, if I want to produce the Led Zeppelin Go Go Girl Dance Show I can.

If the Klu Klux Klan wants to put on a show they can, if the NAACP wants to put on a show they can.

Just make sure that Snoop Doggy Dog gives you the right to play his videos Lever before you air your show, OK

PS: the subject of this thread is not only the license, but the subject matter being made available with public funds.

Weirfire is asking why he should pay to support shows like this, but it is a similar feature to the public access as I show in the above example.

No one is forced to watch, the idea is a fabrication of Satan, but he is called the Prince of the Power of the air, is he not Weirfire?

15. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    I have no problem with the show being on at the theatre as I dont have to support it with my money, but the whole theme of the program is offensive to Christians.

The argument about Songs of Praise being on as well is not on the same scale of things as it is not directly offending any specific religions or beliefs.

Although everyone might not agree with what Songs of Praise say they are only giving their own view on beliefs etc. The Jerry Springer Opera is directly targeting Christians beliefs.

AC - I hadn't heard that name for Satan before.

Weirfire, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  16. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Cool. I'll get my head 'round that idea later - more rock, reggae and trance stuff me though :D

And that's 1x 2-hour TV show with "misappropriated" funds whilst my TV license money too has been spent on stuff I don't want to watch. So it balances itself out.

If the license fee goes, what will happen to the quality of programming on the BBC? It may swing more toward what the unwashed masses want and there'll be more boobs, pop music and pointless trash. That's OK, but not for all the people all of the time :) At least by having some of the more intelligent, artistic and inspiring shows, the BBC is trying to maintain some national integrity and diginity vs. the brain-dead stuff.

There are far, far bigger wastes of public funds like flash cars for government and council "officials", taxpayers' money getting spent on train services that don't improve whilst the owners become multi-millionaires, employing more paper-pushers in the National Health Service....

What do I get for by GBP1500 a year Council Tax? Somebody empties my bin once a week - that's it

Lever, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  17. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Don't get me started on coucil tax please. Delete that will ya! (Tax in general seems unfair.)

T0PS3O, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Quote by Weirfire

AC - I hadn't heard that name for Satan before.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you better quit listening to your preacher and read it in your good book yourself.

19. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    And didn't the Christians directly target the pagan beliefs when they wanted to convert the early Brits to the new religion? What goes around... I sincerely mean that in the nicest way possible, Weirfire :)
    Nope, shan't :D Council Tax is a demon we need to bring out into the open and beat with the birch

It's not that tax is unfair, it should just be better spent and on proportionally things we need as communities/nations not to line the pockets of those in power or connected to them

Lever, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  20. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

Last time I was in London I saw a couple of shows and Jerry Springer The Opera was one of them. If you have a good sense of humor and the ability to laugh out loud at yourself, you are in for a treat.

All art offends someone and this show pretty much offends everyone, which is maybe why it's so popular and I enjoyed it so much :)

Someone told me it only cost $18/month for all those great BBC radio and TV channels including News24 and all without commercial breaks! Boy you guys are pissing on your own patch if you turn them over to the Rupert Murdoch clones.

- Michael

Michael, Jan 7, 2005 IP