1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Learning How To Become A Freelancer

Discussion in 'General Business' started by GrantDraper, Aug 17, 2011.

I have been writing for lots of different people over the last 3 years, but the majority of my clients have come from DP. I've now come to a point where I am busy, but I'm looking to scale down my work load to focus on an offline project I have going & my forums. I have written an article relating to freelancing and how to start. I know a lot of people here struggle and as it's something I have experience with, my advice might help :) I posted it here http://www.thebarterforum.com/content/guide-freelancing-31/

GrantDraper, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  2. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Writing is only part of a freelance writer's career. You must also spend a lot of time marketing yourself and your work, paying careful attention to business details such as quarterly taxes, and staying ahead of ever-changing trends in all areas of publishing. There is also the matter of intense competition from many thousands of other writers, but don't let that stop you.

1.Be honest with yourself about the quality of your writing skills. Chances are excellent that a busy editor will not continue to read your submission if she sees lots of grammatical errors.
    2.Take a writing course or workshop if you do not have an English, journalism or related degree. You need to hear writing instructors and other writers comment on the quality of your work, and you need the experience of having to write well on deadline.
    3.Learn how to write an excellent query letter to an editor. In it you need to briefly propose your idea for an article, give your qualifications and make it all sound as though it is the most wonderful idea ever to cross the editor's desk.
    4.Buy the current year's "Writer's Market," shown on this page as the featured book. In addition to listing numerous publishing houses and consumer magazines, it gives integral information that all writers must know - such as how to write a query letter - and an overview of the business end of a writing career.
    5.Use Web sites for writers to further develop your writing skills and to peruse freelance job opportunities. A simple search for "writing" or "writers" at a major search engine like Google should get you off to a good start.
    6.Contact your local newspaper or magazine and ask if you may submit a completed article "on spec." This means the editor is under no obligation to pay you for your work, but is willing to read it. Make certain you peruse back issues of the publication first to confirm that your idea has not already been covered.

jhardy2008, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  3. mint24

mint24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Those reminder and advice will be useful for me. I'm practicing to be a freelance and I hope I'll be good to it.

mint24, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  4. Juanle455

Juanle455 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is essential to do a self assessment test and be honest about your skills.
    Never offer a service if you don't have the necessary skills in place.

It takes years to build a reputation but just seconds to destroy it.

Juanle455, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  5. mottdog

mottdog Peon

Best Answers:
    You have a gift. I'm not talented with any writing skills.

mottdog, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  6. mindi9

mindi9 Member

Best Answers:
    I am facing lot of problems in link building freelancing. Your article inspired me a lot . I totally agree with your about work discipline, marketing as well as pricing.

mindi9, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  7. GrantDraper

GrantDraper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments. I wouldn't say it is a gift. I write enough to pay the bills whilst I'm at University...it does get tiresome though!

GrantDraper, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  8. Golden Touch

Golden Touch Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a really good article, Grant. It should prove extremely useful for newcomers who are interested in setting up as freelancers. You've absolutely hit the nail on the head when it comes to self-discipline and avoiding distractions. They are the biggest potential pitfalls for anyone working from home. It's so easy to let time evaporate.

Golden Touch, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  9. seolabs

seolabs Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice read. Freelancing is definitely something not taken for granted or else it will eat you alive. Just a few tips of my own

1. Manage client expectations wisely
    2. Commit to deliver expected results but target to do more than what you should. This goes miles long for clients regarding your valuation
    3. Have a good habit and balance a healthy lifestyle. Freelancing can be taxing sometimes as you have no limits.
    4. Know when to say no.

Good luck with the freelancers to be out there.

seolabs, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  10. GrantDraper

GrantDraper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the positive comments. It's easy to get lost when being a freelancer, so thought it might help a couple stay/get back on track. :)

GrantDraper, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  11. seadog33

seadog33 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the read. Your section on pricing I can relate to as someone who's hired writers with the cheaper is better mentality. Its definately better to pay the extra for a quality writer so you're not stuck rewriting everything. Great info.

seadog33, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  12. boldpunter

boldpunter Peon

Best Answers:
    That's an interesting article. The problem you mention about being under-cut on price in forums I think is also true with the major free-lancing websites. Far too many contractors just seem to base their hiring decision on price and then complain when they receive work that is of inferior quality. You often see adverts for hiring writers demanding all sorts of skills, good quality writing etc but then when it comes down to what they are prepared to pay the rates that are offered are often laughable and make a nonsense (IMHO) of the whole advert. Thankfully not all contractors are like this and, in the end, I think it is just a numbers game as if you do offer a good quality service then eventually (if you perservere) you will get hired by someone who appreciates the need to pay a little more to get the standard they require.

boldpunter, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  13. shuvo

shuvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its all about passion and keep patience before getting some works.After getting some works you need to complete them timely and with great result and you also need to build long term relationships with your clients to get continuous works.

shuvo, Aug 25, 2011 IP