1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link Directory - Any specific use ?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Suri.CMS, May 7, 2008.

Hi All.
    I have seen so many people inclined to add a Link Directory module to their website.

I want to know from experts here what is the specific advantage to my website if I have a Link Directory in my website.
    Does it help in SEO ? How ?

Suri.CMS, May 7, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you get some more ( minimal ) traffic to your site, but most likely NO traffic that converts into $ by means of adsense

your alexa rank might rise a little

you may get some BLs to your site

above all I consider a directory a community service for a large-site owner to give OTHERS an opportunity to get BLs recip or non-recip for a precise keyword/directory category.

if done correctly its an additional substantial workload = SERVICE FOR others.

hans, May 7, 2008 IP
  3. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean to say the people who are searching for those category of sites (lets say - technical sites) might land up at our site, because we listed those sites in our directory ?

That is, only if those websites (whom I listed in my directory) owners want to return me a favour... Right ?

Suri.CMS, May 7, 2008 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    NO traffic to your OTHER site - only to directory part
    those submitting usually have zero time for surfing as well as zero time for looking at ads

but the traffic to the directory - even only for submission - also counts toward your site's overall traffic ( alexa )

YES
    you only get backlinks if people want to
    or unless you require BL as a part of free submission
    some directory owners CHARGE for premioum listings
    that's plain stupid because such directories normally have zero or near zero real VISITORS that could eventually convert into traffic back to the listed sites.

directories are above all for BLs in precise keyword relevant categories or niches.

thus if you have a precise niche on your site and LIMIT your directory to those topics only - hence a niche directory for a precise topic only

then the sites listed all are sites relevant to your site - which eventually could give you a small SEO advantage since hundreds of sites from same keyword/market link to you as partner sites.

I would never pay one cent for a directory listing evne if it has PR4 or more
    I do favors to others and vv
    just like in real life
    hence directories are above all a community service - nothing more and nothing less.

those hoping to run a directory as revenue source
    a brief look at alexa rank shows that MOST directories have near zero traffic, thus no traffic also means no adsense revenues no matter how optimized adsense might be.

my advice
    run a directory ONLY if you have a large site with lots of traffic to pay for the service and additional work

hans, May 7, 2008 IP