1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for a recipe CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by pwaring, Jun 25, 2005.

I'm currently running a small student site and one of the requests that I've had from several members is for a system whereby they can share recipes (mostly ideas on cheap meals :)), but separate from the existing forums. Allowing people to add/edit existing recipes is the most important feature required, but comments and the ability to rate them would also be useful. I'm looking for a script that will let me do this but I'm not having much luck - so far I've come across is from Easy Site Network, but I don't really want to leave loads of links/banners on the bottom of every page as they do and from the looks of things it also stores passwords unencrypted. It also looks a bit like it was hacked together in a hurry, but that's just from looking at the demo.

Does anyone here know of any tools that would let me do this? I'd prefer a PHP solution, but Perl and Python are workable too, and it's got to be free because I'm not really making any money off the site and the vBulletin-related licenses cost me enough as it is.

pwaring, Jun 25, 2005 IP
  2. saintdw

saintdw Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, its really easy to make one yourself.

you will need few scripts and a database (mySql )

Have a script that adds things into database from form and a script that pulls articles from the database.

for what you need though Word Press would would be good. Might take you a while to integrate it into the site, but its very user friendly and does everything you need.

saintdw, Jun 25, 2005 IP
  3. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Drupal has a recipe module. Installing Drupal would be probably an overkill, though.

subseo, Jun 25, 2005 IP
  4. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know how to create one myself, but the whole point is that I don't want the trouble of doing so, just like I installed vBulletin instead of writing my own forum system from scratch.

How would WordPress do what I want? It's a blogging system, not a CMS (ok you can use it to manage your content but in my experience it's not really the best tool for the job).

Hmm, that sounds interesting, as there are several other features that I'd quite like to add to the site and if Drupal provides them all then I guess I could eventually switch the whole site to be powered by it.

pwaring, Jun 25, 2005 IP
  5. sweetlouise

sweetlouise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the new mybb forums php script has this built in, so there is no need to make a new mod, just update your database with the new mybb script and hey presto.

sweetlouise, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  6. NgocChinh

NgocChinh Peon

Best Answers:
    Look at my signature ! It's easy to manage via Admin panel.

NgocChinh, Mar 10, 2010 IP
  7. mariobaez

mariobaez Guest

Best Answers:
    The guy's script above me looks good. Also, Wordpress 3.0 is going to unveil Post Types, so it will be easier to make your own recipe website by adding custom fields and such.

Scripts are good, but if you are missing one feature you want, you might be at square one.

mariobaez, Mar 21, 2010 IP