1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for ftp software

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by brendgard, Sep 8, 2009.

1. PhilD

PhilD Member

Best Answers:
    I hope I've understood your post properly... that you MUST use the ftp protocol as most hosting services offer that. I have the problems you mentioned all the time when uploading huge directories via ftp or even sftp/scp, and here is what I do -- realize that once a file is on the server, you have more options.

Problems with any ftp/scp/sftp client:

I hate not knowing if every file made it 'intact' after multiple disconnects/reconnects. I've had the experience where some ftp clients simply 'skip' a half uploaded file. And I'm sure we've all had the problem of constantly 'confirming' that we want a file upload to be 'resumed'. "Babysitting" as you call it. :D And I've tried all the major Ftp/SCP clients: WinSCP, CuteFTP, FileZilla, etc.

Here is my workardound:

Of course, my solution will ONLY work if you have a hosting service that allows you to 'unzip' or 'extract' files on their server, lucky for me... nearly everyone of the hosts I use either have cPanel's New File Manager OR allow shell access.

In any case, 'if' your hosting allows you to unzip files on their server, just zip the entire 14000 files on your side into a single archive, upload the single archive to the host, and unzip it using your hosting service's Extract option. In a cpanel based host (supported by more than half of the hosters out there), you will find a tool called 'file manager', just browse to where the file is... and extract it.

Not only will the single zipped file upload faster than uploading 14000 smaller files, but you will also be assured that all the files made it.

Cheers, PhilD

PhilD, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  2. xpertwebbuilder

xpertwebbuilder Active Member

Best Answers:
    i use cuteftp and free ftp commander.thsese are use to use and user friendly

xpertwebbuilder, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  3. tech_savvy

tech_savvy Peon

Best Answers:
    i would recommend filezilla. though i had some problems of browser crashing initially.

tech_savvy, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  4. vasya

vasya Peon

Best Answers:
    I use "smart ftp" - smartftp.com - has lots of good features!

vasya, Jan 27, 2010 IP