1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for WordPress Theme with individual sidebar per page/post

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by SCLocal, Oct 3, 2009.

Hello, I know the title of this pose sounds a little confusing, was wondering if any of you have seen a wordpress theme that displays specific sidebars for specific pages/posts.

For example, the home/index page would display a specific sidebar, the Products page would display another specific sidebar.
    Ideally this would be accomplished using widgets and could be used for either posts/pages.

Basically I need the ability to define the sidebars that appear per page. I would really like to see a theme that does this and then I can build on that.

Do you sort of get what I'm trying to find here?

SCLocal, Oct 3, 2009 IP
  2. RAB99

RAB99 Peon

Best Answers:
    This will be something you would need to edit in your theme yourself, it's not a feature that a designer would really add to a theme unless it was for a custom client. If you google something like 'dynamic wordrpess sidebar' you will find lots of tutorials on covering this its not hard to implement, you only need a very basic knowledge of php.

what you will need to edit is the sidebar.php file and replace either the widget code or html code to something like

<?php if (is_front_page()) {
    include(TEMPLATEPATH."/sidebar_children/sidebar_search.php") ;
    include(TEMPLATEPATH."/sidebar_children/sidebar_125.php") ;
    }

elseif (is_page(array('about','contact','rss-2','faq','site-sponsors','login-page','submit-a-review','advertise','sitemap'))) {
    include(TEMPLATEPATH."/sidebar_children/sidebar_search.php") ;
    }

elseif (is_page()) {
    include(TEMPLATEPATH."/sidebar_children/sidebar_about.php") ;
    }

else {
    include(TEMPLATEPATH."/sidebar_children/sidebar_rss.php") ;
    }
    ?>

but like i say google is your friend here, lots of tutorials on this on the interweb:p

hope that helps some

RAB99, Oct 4, 2009 IP
    SCLocal likes this.
  3. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WP Remix Theme/Template system is as close as I've seen.

internetmarketingiq, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  4. SCLocal

SCLocal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I found a very simple fix and I'm feel kinda stupid for not realizing it.
    Basically you just need to find where in the page,post,index,etc. the sidebar is called upon, eg
    <?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/sidebar.php'); ?> or the <?php get_sidebar(); ?>
    Code (markup):
    And change the code to:
    <?php $sidebar = get_post_meta($post->ID, "sidebar", true);
    include ($sidebar); ?>
    Code (markup):
    This will allow you to create a custom field in any page/post/index that references a specific sidebar php page. I used this for a left and right sidebar and created individual left/right sidebar files for all pages/posts on a site. A really neat way to fully customize it.

I suppose for added functionality you can just create a custom widget setting for each page/sidebar but I don't need that right now, maybe in the future, lol.

The above is working in the latest 2.8.4 WordPress version

SCLocal, Oct 10, 2009 IP