1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for your personal advice on a multi-million dollar profit project

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Laceygirl, Mar 31, 2011.

I've been really fighting with myself for 2 years on this project I have in mind. A couple of years ago I spend about 6 months trying to think of new an exciting business ideas. I came up with about 10 in total but one of them stuck in my mind forever. I need advice now.

Let's get this straight. This isn't just an idea. It is a business plan that explains 2 years ahead into the online business. Everything is accounted for. Revenue source, layout, how the network will run, monthly costs, marketing & promotion, the design, etc.
    I'm going to estimate that if someone was serious about a larger project they would pay a million for just the idea. Its NEVER been done before and the revenue market is massive while the expense is low. This thing sure to be as popular as something like Poker Stars(no, its not related at all). In addition to that the mantinence of the plan shows that is very self maintaining. At the revenue of $40,000,000 it still would only take 6 people Max to operate it.
    The negative is that it is something that will require EFFORT to make and operate in the beginning. The site would be very advanced so my bet is it would cost at least $5,000 to have it made. Money is not the problem, but time spend on it would be.
    -It has no middle man for profit, no one else rules like adsense where they take a cut.
    -Its friendly for people who want to make a few dollars, spend a few dollars, make thousands overnight, spend thousands overnight, so its really something for everyone.
    -Its excellent for people who are looking to use the site to help their business, and it something for just regulars looking for a good time
    -Completely off the grid for competitors and partnering up with other sites. I don't really see a possible way for other large networks to be able to follow the trend. (as we know facebook has the tendencies to basically take everything and put it in their site)
    -Most of all, and most importantly this business is self promoting. People will be running around telling everyone that what is happening at the site. No word of a lie, I'm convinced that, at least, 3% of you dp members would be part of the site within the next 6 months if it was here without me asking.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that. Onto the question I have for the public.
    What the hell can I do with this business plan? Seriously.
    I don't have the confidence. I'm scared that if I start this myself then I will not be able to hire the right website designer and coder. Honestly the site cannot be operated by 1 person for the 1st 6 months as it will take mass amounts of efforts.
    I can't find any suitable partners. Its not the money its just there is a lot of people who just do not think straight. They have a low amount of effort and I don't need to babysit someone I need a solid 2 to 6 people to go nuts on this site like I would. I'm half worried that my plan will somehow be stolen and done without me. Even with a partners address, signed NDA, identification, somehow people always find a way to steal it using someone else's ownership as a backup.
    I've told only 3 people about this and all of them said they would be willing to sell their house(etc) as an investor if I was willing actually do this and if I had the missing holes filled(having a working partner or two, know how to get it built). That's how confident the idea is.
    Also I'm not sure if I have time. I need to work a lot to control my own salary in order the support myself. If it were 4yrs ago there's no worries but now I larger morgages, more responsibilities, etc.
    Personally I don't even want to SELL the business plan for even as much as a quarter million because I know that 2 years from now I'll be the crazy person on the street all drunk saying "that was my idea, I did that, but I made a mistake".

So I ask the public
    What would you do if you were me?

(Do not Private message me trying to get the idea. It'll never happen)

Laceygirl, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  2. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a only thing you can't do . If the right people don't exit make them . No one got rich without a team , no one . Keep that in mind Justin .

ApocalypseXL, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  3. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is an important question Lacey:

Can your idea be Patented?

Secondly: Why can't you start small and grow... Look at facebook... they started in a dorm room and now are the biggest company on tha net.

Is it a service, are your selling products, is it social????

-C

:cool:

Woodcs82, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  4. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Keep this in mind. Don't talk to me if you are going to throw disrespectful crap (you know what I'm talking about)
    1. Nothing can really be patented online but some idea's happen quick enough that on one gets a chance to steal it and surpass your popularity.
    2. There's no starting small with this. The site has to function fully or there is no point. Facebook is not really an excellent example as the facebook ownership "was" stolen. The guy sued, facebook paid him off.
    Its service related, sort of. There's no actual products available, and it is social. More on a business, entertainment side of social though.

Either way its go big or forget it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If your business plan was really sound then you should have no problem getting a business mentor who can help you expand your skill set with regards to HR.

Look up your local government resources for small business help.

sarahk, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  6. Woodcs82

Best Answers:
    You can patent things online...Look at Amazon.com's 1 Click Patent.. Facebook has a number of patents now active. I agree that facebook was stolen.

How much money do you need???

-C

1. Nothing can really be patented online but some idea's happen quick enough that on one gets a chance to steal it and surpass your popularity.
    2. There's no starting small with this. The site has to function fully or there is no point. Facebook is not really an excellent example as the facebook ownership "was" stolen. The guy sued, facebook paid him off.
    Its service related, sort of. There's no actual products available, and it is social. More on a business, entertainment side of social though.

Either way its go big or forget it.[/QUOTE]

7. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Meh, couple of grand, but that's not the issue. Its the confidence and Time I lack in. I have bad luck with life. I don't like to do too much because of that.

8. Woodcs82

Best Answers:
    No an Intellectual Patent will cost you around $10-15,000. They are def. not cheap. (in the USA)

I hear you on the confidence....Confidence is something that is rebuilt with time. Ever hear of FAKE IT Til you MAKE IT? If you don't have time now , how wil you ever manage to work on your startup?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  9. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's better to sell your idea since you have no time and confidence. You may patent your idea then sell the patent or look for a partner.

makeit easy, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  10. mikemdg

mikemdg Member

Best Answers:
    What would you do if you were me?
    I would sell my business plan for the $250K (if that was actually possible), because the business plan is essentially worthless until you have an actual working business model that is generating revenue and positive cash flow.

$5000 is a pittance for a website that will potentially generate 40M+, hiring any competant people you could have this done within a couple weeks, but I have a feeling there is a lot more work required than you imagine. If you want any real advice, you should start small and have some sort of scalable business model. You don't build a stadium in the middle of the desert and hope it will be filled every night.

mikemdg, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  11. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with patents is that you make one and then someone just takes the business plan, sprinkles some icing and dinosaur candies on it and its legal.

Laceygirl, Apr 1, 2011 IP
  12. hostpole.com

hostpole.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ill tell you exactly what I AM Doing.. Coz I also have a BIG idea which can revolutionize Internet and the offline world in every possible way.. It needs a big capital and I am not going to any venture capitalist coz I know it can get stolen. I need a big investment of at-least a million dollars. What are my options? Nothing, I am working my ass off to generate that investment.. I am juggling sooo many niches to generate that investment. You can do the same if you trust your idea.. Either way its fun to live big.. it more worthy than even success ;)
    And concentrate on your dreams and its maifestation, the fears wont stand a chance :)

hostpole.com, Apr 1, 2011 IP
  13. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Then why do google and other big boys have too many patents? Do they waste their money?

Also if you don't act fast, someone else can think the same or similar idea with yours. Did you think about this probability before?

makeit easy, Apr 1, 2011 IP
  14. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because when you go to court its not generally about the case, most of the time its about how much push you have. A company like google will patent their stuff then if someone takes it they will sued them and before its over the other guy will be bankrupt and settle down.
    When you are first starting out if the idea is taken and the company pushes ahead before you get a chance to settle in then you won't be able to afford to Go them in court.
    I honestly don't think its possible as its somewhat of a complex idea. However I did see that just last year a site opened which its idea is about 5% like my plan. Its worth about $10,000,000 now but its far basic. It basically only just touches the beginning of my business plan.
    I guess it could happen, but what can I do about that. I can't do this plan, I can't give it out, I can't fill in the minor holes it has, and I can't do it alone.

I'm powerless.

15. Woodcs82

Best Answers:
    If you think you're powerless you will be...

Think positive.....

Just put your idea out there...Facebook isn't the only rags to riches story on the internet. Facebook is the biggest ...but there are others.

If you don't do anything then you wont get anything. Put your idea out there!!!!

You need a few things:

You need to develop the idea yourself or money to have someone else develop it.

Some kind of marketing budget and a PR Firm.

If your idea is "THAT GOOD" then it could possibly go viral.

You need to BELIEVE in yourself! If you NEVER TRY you will NEVER SUCCEED!

Woodcs82, Apr 1, 2011 IP
  16. SabTech

SabTech Member

Best Answers:
    Lacey, $5000ish for making something grand to generate $40M cannot happen even in your dream. You have a multi-million worth idea but can you design it by yourself, can you code it by yourself? I really don't think you can do all these on your own! Taking myself as example, I have my idea which can make me the "zuckerberg" of my country (i'm 17) but my main problem is coding... How will I entrust someone I barely know to code my design perfectly? I would not be able to entrust my idea as he will code and any time he will SURELY use a part of the code! Actually, a guy asked me $20K just to code lol...I better learn coding even if takes me a year, atleast i'll be 100% unique and 100% self-made profit.

Ever heard of branding? If you hire someone 'trusted' you will want him to keep the idea secret, never leak it or use the code. If it's just hiring a coder for that stuff, you would need to pay him minimum $100K so he agrees and that also is not 100% sure he will never leak something. But if Google does it, I think it's not risky(I heard google outsource, not sure)...

Now if your friend is a coder, you might talk to him/her. Talk about a team. A life business, meaning leave old works and make this their priority, their main job! Finally, you will be an enterprise! But nowadays, even friends cannot be trusted(my personal opinion)

Also $40M+ is your expectation...Ever wondered you may be the next billionaire on the top 50? :)

Also, If you have an idea never become powerless as u said above... This will lead to your scenario of "2 years later i'll be on the road, drunk, saying that this idea could have made me the richest guy on earth":D

SabTech, Apr 1, 2011 IP
  17. SabTech

SabTech Member

Best Answers:
    I just saw you said a site, opened last year, 5% of your idea worths $10M now...Wow!
    so, simple maths, in 1 year you may get max [(10/5)*100] = 200M ... $200M Lacey... Minimum $75M...I guess you'll top the Top 50 billionaires within 10 years time...

Good Luck :)

SabTech, Apr 1, 2011 IP
  18. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    .......Fiverr, $300 script to make from scratch = Worth $$5,488,722
    Facbook 3 years ago, $2000 script max to make = $1,095,000,000
    Digg.com, $1000 script = $16,102,942
    Digitalpoint Forums(not the tools) = $235 script price =$11,648,936
    Ebay, a damn advanced classifieds site script =$3000 =$$95,217,391
    These are rough price estimate but honestly I can go on forever.
    Not an idea. Its a business plan layout for the zillionth time.
    No, I'm not a coder. I can only move a few things here and there.
    Meh, you hire someone. Its not a MMORPG, its a website with an advanced membership system. $3000 should pull it together securely.
    Have you ever been in business before. I MEAN EVER. There's no paying someone $100,000 to shut them up. Its called an NDA and you use it to shut people up. The tough part is not the shutting up of people. The tough part is finding someone who is truly a dedicated, well funded, common sense thinking, individual with a drive to partner up with(Heck I'm sure this idea in the beginning could use 4 other people).
    Its a fairly realistic value to the plan considering it does not need a huge ass server system like something like youtube. I'm not looking to be a billionaire though. I'm looking to be a part of something special that is a livelyhood of the rest of my life(but yes, richness is good too). Even at 1/2million I'd be happy, but its never going to happen with this site. Its going to be Alexa Top 50 if you get my drift!

19. Wulkanen

Wulkanen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like simple ideas, those are the ones that are easy to get off the ground.
    However, if you are so sure that the idea will generate such huge amounts of money then I am sure that you can find some good people helping you.
    Do some research, look for people who knows your idea's niche and try to get in touch with them. However I understand if you are verry keen about keeping
    the idea a secret.

Is it possible to get some close friends or family to help you with the idea? I'm sure that is you explain the possibilities they
    would jump right on it! :p

If I could, I would help you.
    But for now I can only wish you good luck! =)

Wulkanen, Apr 1, 2011 IP
  20. drewtoby

drewtoby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would do market research, and start off with a smaller buisness (that does not cost as much). Hope this helps!

drewtoby, Apr 1, 2011 IP