1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Lover of Sadness - My hand coded CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by LOD, Nov 13, 2009.

hi guys i am a newbie php programmer and i have been working for 2 and half month to build a CMS from scratch which will do exactly what i need. and finally i made it. it took me so much time but its almost perfect now... u can see the CMS at Lover of Sadness

Features
    1. it has JQuery slide show on top which shows random image and can load more images at the end via ajax.
    2. Ability to show content by id and also change the meta description along with it...
    3. a suggestion page
    4. a report function so that u could report for any page/content
    5. visitors can upload their own picture, from which a resized version and a thumbnail is created.
    6. visitor can submit their own poem, quote or story..
    7. visitor can vote on every post, even though they dont need to log in for it.. the vote feature is done by Ajax so no reloading pages..
    8. user can comment on every topic
    9. user can get notification on follow up comments via email on their chosen topics or topic created by them...
    10. for notification email address is first verified.. and user dont get instant emails on every comment which might add up to a huge number when the site will be getting a lot of visitor.. instead they recieve one email everyday containing all of the msg together..
    11. user can unsubscribe from a particular topic or from all topic.
    12. one image gallery..
    13. tag cloud which is made by the use of XML
    14. it has a very strong admin mode.. from where u can insert, update and edit any content..
    15. any content submitted by visitor such as comment,story,picture,quote,poem is needed to be approved via admin in order to be published...
    16. i created a class for advertising which lets me show 3 reguler + 1 link google ads randomly and when googles max ads is reached, it shows different ads (which needs to be added in the class) randomly..
    17. if the page is too long it shows more ads..
    18. if the content is less and its mostly picture and video then it decreases the number of google ads so that google doesnt have any problem with sufficient content.. (instead of google it shows different ads from other site)
    19. when logged in admin mode all of the ads are turned off for that pc, in order to restrict u from clicking on them..

now please tell me what u think of it.. all of ur feedback is highly appreciated...

LOD, Nov 13, 2009 IP
  2. mony911

mony911 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow.. excellent work there... that is quite a task u did.. r u planning to sell the CMS??
    although i'd like to point out one thing.. i was listening to a song on ur website and felt like commenting on it.. and when i commented the whole page reloaded and i had to stream the whole audio song again... it kinda bothered me... since u already made the voting system via ajax, can u make the comment section via ajax too... it will help a lot of ur visitors....
    CHEERSS
    Great work again...

mony911, Nov 15, 2009 IP
  3. LOD

LOD Member

Best Answers:
    i just made the commenting section via ajax.. so no more reloading pages while listening to songs or watching videos on youtube.... :D
    further feedback is appreciated...

LOD, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well done at a glance. Someone taught you markup well.... No tables :)

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Nov 17, 2009 IP
  5. LOD

LOD Member

Best Answers:
    thanks... although i dont know whether u noticed that i've used table for the JQuery carousel... that was the only way i could make the distance between images constant....

LOD, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  6. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Impressive! I want to build my own cms, and add my signature for future clients. The list provided is very resourceful, I will take the time to learn this over the holidays, and post back for further remarks.

CHEERS :)

buckmajor, Nov 21, 2009 IP
  7. CalebSpilchen

CalebSpilchen Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Nice Job!!!! You did really well!

CalebSpilchen, Nov 22, 2009 IP
  8. LOD

LOD Member

Best Answers:
    new addition:
    ---------------
    before on my CMS, the youtube and the audio player used to cause error on w3c validator, just like it does with all of the pages that contains youtube's embedded link on the internet... but now i've fixed the problem. i used ajax to bring in the player after the page is loaded, which is working just great and its not breaking any validation... :D

LOD, Nov 26, 2009 IP
  9. jmpf

jmpf Peon

Best Answers:
    great job! more people should be building their own cms then using something like wordpress or drupal -- you will learn a lot and you can re-use quite a lot of your components in the future...

I know a friend that does this all the time and guess what? he doesn't really have to code anything any more unless he wants to

jmpf, Nov 27, 2009 IP
  10. LOD

LOD Member

Best Answers:
    New Addition:
    ---------------
    My site now has RSS feed. this does exactly what its supposed to..

LOD, Jan 3, 2010 IP
  11. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    One question, how long did it take for you to hand code your CMS?
    What kind of experience do you have before you started building your own CMS?

Man I failed, I was meant to study this over the holidays but never got around to it :mad:

I want to build my own, but not sure where to start??

My skills are:
    CSS (table-less websites)
    HTML
    FLASH
    PHP (Not advanced, just the basic or bit more)

My goals is to build my own CMS in 2010, and would appreciate some kind of direction?

P.S Is it better to learn to build my own CMS or hire someone to build me one, and use the same one over again?

Thanks in advance
    CHEERS :)

buckmajor, Jan 4, 2010 IP
  12. LOD

LOD Member

Best Answers:
    hi.
    i created this whole CMS within 2 months. i did not have much experience on PHP before. infact this CMS is one of the first PHP project i created to show of my skill. however i did have other programming knowledge of 5 years before. and i learned PHP within 2 weeks.

for you i would say that if you want to be a developer its better to build your own CMS since that will give u a lot of experience and problem to face and in times make u a better developer..
    one thing i would suggest you is to get the Lynda.com PHP tutorials. that sure has helped me a lot...
    wish you good luck on your project...

LOD, Jan 4, 2010 IP