1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Macbook Pro or Normal Notebook?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Tyron, Jul 7, 2007.

Hi all,

I want to go into the multimedia field doing flash, action script, soudn editing, photoshop ect. However I am a little unsure due to a few people I have spoken to on what I need.

Some have said I need a mac to do all the work on as I will then know how to use mac os for when I work in a company (as they will have macs). I can boot camp it to run windows also so gettign a 2 for 1.

Others have said it is unneeded and would be better off getting a normal laptop at half the price and companies will use non mac work stations.

So I'm asking you guys who do this as a profession which one is realled needed a macbook pro or a normal laptop?

Thanks

Tyron, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  2. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Those are quite the two extremes ;) What about using a macbook.. (not a pro) instead? Regardless, I would get familiar with the mac since it's industry standard (it's not hard to adjust at all )

8everything, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  3. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's a matter of preference really. you dont need a mac to be a designer. but the truth is that 80-90% of design and printing firms do use macs. however, it's not required. personally i would go with a pc based notebook for now and then later on once you have developed skill in a particular area and are serious about it, then consider upgrading.

ansi, Jul 7, 2007 IP
    8everything likes this.
  4. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to add to ansi: that's very true. I started out designing with a windows and then "upgraded" to mac.. but there was barely a difference at all. (photoshop is the same anyways). The only difference I found that I had to adjust is how colors appear differently between these two OS

8everything, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  5. Maksa

Maksa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    mac pro is costly you can get same speed Dell laptop and use with windows.

Maksa, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  6. thatfreakinaaron

thatfreakinaaron Banned

Best Answers:
    i do that all on my macbook, i love it. its super fast.

thatfreakinaaron, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  7. Tyron

Tyron Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah but what happens when you get a job and they give you a mac or ask you to use one and you never used one before? You're pretty much screwed.

It's just annoying that I can't use a dell which is half the price because all the jobs I looked at said you must be proficient in mac os :mad:

Tyron, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  8. Drudoran

Drudoran Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a design company but also go out doing freelance work in agencies. When I do this I still use a 17" powerbook which is great for all web/creative/audio apps.

However I have a Mac Pro back at base which has parallels running - which is really useful when you want to jump into windows to check web sites run pc software etc.

If you're only going to be using the laptop - I'd go for the macbook -especially if you want to be using it for a 2 or 3 years or more.

Drudoran, Jul 16, 2007 IP