1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mag Design

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by calisonder, Jun 22, 2007.

Does anybody around here have any experience designing a magazine or anything in print?

And if so, do you know any good online resources/ good books?

I know that print needs to be in 300dpi and in CMYK but becides that I don't know alot. I know there is crop lines and a lot of guidelines to using those so that the printer can actually cut your project sooooooo basically I need some guidence.

Anybody?
    Thanks

calisonder, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  2. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well to start with, anything for print shouldn't be laid out in photoshop. you can do the graphical elements in photoshop sure, but for actual page layouts and such you should use indesign or quark express or something. but if you must use photoshop, 300dpi in CMYK with 1/8 inch bleeds if you want it printed to the edges. there's a guy her called mac_crazy he's actually in the printing industry. i am sure he wouldn't mind a question or two. hope that some of the was helpful to you.

ansi, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  3. calisonder

calisonder Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks man

calisonder, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  4. shibligd

shibligd Guest

Best Answers:
    Magazine layout is always done on quark or indesing but if u have Illustrator also can make a perfect design for printing .Yes the background colour or photopicture whatever is there, must be extra than size for bleed .

shibligd, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  5. squarehippies

squarehippies Peon

Best Answers:
    Never never never use Photoshop for layouts and type. I don't know why people have this impression where Photoshop is the solution for everything design, even when most of forum members doing logos in the contest forum, it's sad really. :(

squarehippies, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  6. whoamifooling

whoamifooling Peon

Best Answers:
    I use photoshop and psp for everything... So thanks.

whoamifooling, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  7. grimsqueaker

grimsqueaker Peon

Best Answers:
    Indesign should be used for printing type things, Illustrator should be used for logos.

At least, that's what they were built for.

grimsqueaker, Jul 31, 2007 IP