1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Making Friends is hard to do (MySpace)

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by mcfox, Jul 22, 2006.

I've noticed MySpace is significantly hampering making friends of late, which makes me wonder just how much MySpace accounts with lots of friends may be worth both now and in the future?

Maybe a month ago it was still possible to gain a sizable number of new friends every day. As little as last week it was still possible to get around the constraints by making sure the friend requests were inbound - you could add as many as you received.

Now, sneaky MySpace have added a constraint mechanism to accepting new friends - kind of like a countdown timer - that allows you to add 10 friends at a time for a number of times, then 9, then 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 ... and that's as far as I got because I got bored. Presumably this gets reset every 24 hours?

So my thinking is that those MySpace accounts that have several thousand friends are going to be ever more vauable now that it is becoming ever more difficult to add new friends.

It may also be the case that it is preferable to keep the MySpace accounts you already have before it gets too difficult to make new ones, especially since MySpace is the number one website, traffic-wise, on the Internet.

mcfox, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  2. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    When requesting friends the captcha code pops up every 4 - 10 requests instead of 50 as it was before and the friend adder programs are not working to bypass the codes anymore. I agree, I think this makes accounts a lot more valuable.

Roman, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  3. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Last week I was able to accept incoming friend requests, 10 at a time, for as many times as I could be bothered clicking. Not now! The diminishing number you can accept is a real hurdle - it means sitting for hours and hours to do something that only last week took maybe half an hour.

Might be worth hanging onto those MySpace accounts for anyone who markets to the MySpace community.

mcfox, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  4. NoobieDoobieDo

NoobieDoobieDo Peon

Best Answers:
    I hardly ever get that verification box when adding friends. I've maybe seen it three times and I have 1,500 friends.

NoobieDoobieDo, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  5. bunnybling

bunnybling Peon

Best Answers:
    We've (BlingJam) been very successful adding friends to our profiles with add buttons on our site. We rarely make requests for friends and never arbitrarily.

I think the "quality" of our accounts is higher because we have a brand name associated with our accounts that people identify with and make the friend request themselves.

We now have the domain BlingJamFriends.com and are thinking of developing a page featuring select MySpace users with "add friend" buttons (a kinda premium train). This page would have a link on our main site home page.

If anyone has thoughts on this, suggestions would be appreciated.

Also we've begun putting code generators for our "Bling" directly into bulletins and the preliminary results seem to be preety good.

bunnybling, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  6. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Go Blingjam your own thread :rolleyes:

The changes I'm referring to have only been implemented within the last week or three. I think they will change the landscape of MySpace accounts.

mcfox, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  7. hdpt00

hdpt00 Peon

Best Answers:
    150 friends/day with programs is easy!

hdpt00, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  8. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I'm not talking about 150 friends a day, I'm talking about 1500 friends per day.

MySpace have now initiated a new 'throttle mechanism' that seriously hampers an account's ability to accept new friends.

As far as I can tell, after you have accepted 5x ten friend requests, it diminishes to 3x nine friend requests that can be accepted, then 3x 8, 3x 7, .... to a maximum of 120 (ish) friend requests in total. After that, it's one at a time.

mcfox, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  9. hdpt00

hdpt00 Peon

Best Answers:
    I send out about 300 friend request/day and get about 50% accept. If I send out more I'm afraid of getting banned. I alos heard there is a hard limit of 500 requests/day.

hdpt00, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  10. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    That's correct. You may only request 500 per day maximum.

However, there are ways to get people to request to be your friend. Until very recently it was possible to accept an unlimited number of friend requests so 1000 - 2000 per day was easy to deal with. Not now. It bounces down to one at a time after a set number of requests are bulk-accepted.

mcfox, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  11. donna-x

donna-x Peon

Best Answers:
    i understand. i have over 25k pending requests and its a pain in the butt to approve them now

donna-x, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  12. SNap3

SNap3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have auto approver ;)

SNap3, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  13. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These changes might also improve Myspace long-term. :)

gemini181, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  14. ScottHughes

ScottHughes Peon

Best Answers:
    I use MySpace for personal purposes in addition to business. As such, I can't stand all the spammers on there, especially the ones with auto-add programs. Even worse are the people who phish for passwords. So, I agree that in the long run MySpace will be better off with these restrictions.

They've been updating security and other programs very much lately. Plus, I heard that Murdoch hired an all new security team to make MySpace "safer for children". Since adult web-cam spam-bots are so prevalent on MySpace, I bet spammers will be one of the areas they crack down on most. And, thank them for that.

ScottHughes, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  15. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Yep, the evolution of MySpace is quite interesting to watch. MySpace have no option but to tighten up on the spammers - I'm surprised they've waited this long to do it, to be honest.

mcfox, Aug 5, 2006 IP
  16. Shah Bandar

Shah Bandar Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm..these days myspace is more as a business network than a social network.Ohya not to forget, a scam network!

Shah Bandar, Aug 5, 2006 IP