1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

McDar Experiment

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by compar, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm interested in this experiment, but I have a problem. I want to start earning income from this page as quickly as possible, and to this end I already have about 1,000 IBLs in place.

I also have the element of a domain name with my hyphenated keyword phrase. How is Foxy going to duplicate that?

I also don't quite understand the control page. Is it going to be the same theme. If so how are we going to parallel the links? Nobody will want to put to indentical anchor text links on their pages???

Caryl you said two posts back
    I'm not sure exactly what you are suggesting?

compar, Jun 7, 2004 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  2. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    If I could find a camping spot with cable access Id be camping every weekend too, any tips on where these e-resorts are? lol.

schlottke, Jun 7, 2004 IP
  3. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    To a certain extent that is one of the points - you don't. The fact that this is a "virgin" site [that is without competition in the url, without competition in the allins etc] gives a base that can show movements totally independent from a highly optimised site.

The theme can be decided as to what is necessary - thus we can write it with the same on page factors as your site/page and then establish the base linking that we think acceptable. Then we do not alter it and see where it sits.

Foxy, Jun 7, 2004 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the first time anybody referred to one of my sites as "virgin". Most people think they are "f**ked" :D

We don't have all the new site design finished yet, but here is the proposed design and home page online poker rooms.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. I'm working with the designer to improve some of the on-page optimization. For instance all the heading are in graphics rather than text. They look nice but won't work as keywords.

Foxy or Caryl can you tell me how Foxy will set up a control page for this test?

compar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  5. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    haha... e-resort..

I have a membership with a little conservation club/campground. Just got friendly with the caretakers and talked them into getting Road Runner. I pay for the service from May to October, they pay the rest of the year.

We installed a router at the caretackers house and ran CAT5 all the way out to my camper. I have a router at my camper and 3 others plug into it there.

This has certainly given me a lot of freedom to spend time out there that I could not otherwise aford due to responsibilities.

I absolutly love it :D

mcdar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  6. Rational

Rational Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry guys for being a bit back and forth here... I'm currently in the process of moving to another country, but assume that things will be a bit more stable as soon as I get organized there (by the end of the week, I guess).

To keep track of how Bob's poker site behaves SERP wise, I've made a simple excel spreadsheet where the different factors/rankings can be monitored on a daily basis. I've added a link row at the bottom, where it is possible to enter the number of links being indexed that day.

Is this something we can work with? If you want to add/change/remove stuff, just play around with it.

Attached Files:

Rational, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  7. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Bob,

Usually, an experiment is designed to prove or disprove a theory. But, in this case, we have an "experiment" and are now trying to decide what theories we can test for. Kind of the cart before the horse, so to speak (as far as research goes).

You are putting up an entire new site. We really could only experiment with one page of that site. Unless you have these 1000 links pointing to every page, I'm sure we could pick out one page, or make one page, as the experimental page.

The experimental page from your site will be from the "large site", the experimental page from Foxy's site will be from the "small site".

We do not want to have duplicate content, although titles could be the same and links should be identical to each page.

The idea of having a "control" in an experiment is there to eliminate "environmental" variables. In our case, if we changed links to one of the pages but saw that both pages dropped 10 places, it would then be easy to conclude that it was a result of something other than what we had done that caused the change.

The control page gives us something to measure against, as we have no control over the fluid movement of all of the other pages in Google.

This would also give us an excellent way to measure/record any sandbox effect because, if such a filter is in place and all the links are the same, each page should show the effect almost simultaneously.

Remember, it is not even neccessary for both pages to be in approximately the same position. Even if your page is #10 and Foxy's is #20, both pages would "take a tumble" in the same time frame and both should recover in the same time frame.

Again, we should ONLY be concerning ourselves with ONE page from each site. I would like to see them go live on the same day. Each page should only have one internal link pointing to it.

Note: I do not have any problem having two anchor text the same on a page. Actually, at some time during the experiment, if we perceive the order of the two links is having an effect, we could reverse the order.

Caryl

mcdar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  8. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:

Rational,
    If we are only going to monitor the results from one datacenter, we should isolate one datacenter and query it. i.e. - 216.239.53.99.

We should NOT just do the search on www.google.com as the results can come from any one of a number of datacenters and changes we would be recording could just be the difference between datacenters, not actual changes.

Also, if we include Fozy's page as a control, it would be nice to see both results side by side on the same page.

Caryl

mcdar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  9. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Sounds good to me - just tell me what you want on the page Bob, and what the link should be - needs to be your call.

Rational, Caryl if you have any other thoughts let me know. :)

Foxy, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  10. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    We should probably try to come up with a time that we can all be on this thread so we can actually get things decided and going in a reltively short time frame.

Caryl

mcdar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  11. Foxy

Best Answers:
    I is here :D

Foxy, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  12. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Great! no word from Bob yet.

It would be nice to get a look at Bob's site to see what he is doing. I would suggest that you make at least an index page and link from it to a sub page. The sub page would be our experimental page.

You could put blabla on the index page and then put similar content to Bob's on the experimental page.

Just speculating here...

Don't really know what Bob's thoughts are to my two previous posts.

mcdar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  13. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Here is the index page

zplus2.com and there is a site_map.htm

Foxy, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  14. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Oh and I did some news!!!

Foxy, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  15. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    If you all need any help with this project, I'm ready, willing, and able to lend links, etc.

schlottke, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  16. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Great! You could leave the design the same on that page plus the news feed.

Just change the languge to Gambling type stuff. Then create a page to link to from there to be our "experimental page".

mcdar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  17. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:

Great, Thank you for the offer!

stick around.

mcdar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  18. Foxy

Best Answers:
    I'll go and grab the stuff from the demo page of Bobs, alter it, and perhaps we should then wait for Bob to look at it as well as the sub-page.

Foxy, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  19. Foxy

Best Answers:
    Nice one matey :)

Foxy, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  20. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, we will have to wait for Bob's input to help with the content, etc of your "experimental" page.

mcdar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.