1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moving from html to something else

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Cashable, Apr 19, 2007.

I recently purchased a site that has over 200 pages of static html. It is a freaking pain to do anything. It took me about 30 minutes just to change out the adsense to my code, and that was after I automated the process.

I plan on adding more pages, making changes to the design, etc., but I am facing the daunting task of having to make 200+ changes for every change I plan to make.

I am considering moving the entire site over to a managed system. I use Joomla/Mambo and Wordpress quite a bit. Can anyone answer the following questions for me?

1. What system would you suggest I move over to?
    2. The site gets a ton of traffic from G each day, how do I minimize any loss that may occur?
    3. What is the best way to make sure if a user is going to jetblue.htm they will end up at the appropriate page in the new system?
    4. Is it even worth making the change?
    5 Any suggestions you may have for me?

Thanks for your help!

Cashable, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  2. maroon_cool

maroon_cool Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi if you move to Joomla here some tips: if you want to minimize the loss of the traffic you must to redirect your visitors from the old page which is not exist(not all urls can be the same as that static page) to new one...similar as the content with previews one.
    I think no....right now you have 200 in the future will be more...it will be hard for you to update them....
    My suggestions: Go with Joomla

Good Luck!

maroon_cool, Apr 20, 2007 IP
  3. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    you can also try SSI - which would retain the same stucture of the site by which you can adsense code to all your pages in just a minute rather than 30 minutes :)

onedollar, Apr 20, 2007 IP
  4. xtraze

xtraze Peon

Best Answers:
    1. What system would you suggest I move over to?

Most of the times the most appropriate system may change according to your needs. But I strongly recommend using Joomla which is can manage almost any task related to Contents and much more if you know how to. ;)

2. The site gets a ton of traffic from G each day, how do I minimize any loss that may occur?

There are a few addons that can make your Joomla installation completely search engine friendly. The default (in-built) SEO feature generates URL like.
    http://www.bbxchanges.org/home/content/view/5/11/

3. What is the best way to make sure if a user is going to jetblue.htm they will end up at the appropriate page in the new system?

Best way for both search engines and humans will to leave those pages as it is and post "This page is dead, move to our new page!" (not like that of course) at the top of the page in big letters. (this is just a way, you can try something similar to this)
    Just redirect them using a link and do not delete those content if you wish to have it.

4. Is it even worth making the change?

Yes it is, it can be a BIG headache if you didnt change while its only 200 pages, When the site gets bigger, you have more trouble.

5 Any suggestions you may have for me?

Feel free to ask any questions from me by PM about Joomla. I am a template designer as well as joomla site builder myself. Made over 100 sites for myself and currently working on some projects.(the link you can see above also links to my latest project)

xtraze, Apr 20, 2007 IP