1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

multiple options when giving quotes

Discussion in 'General Business' started by amontheweb, Nov 1, 2013.

Hi everyone,

I was following up with a potential client that went with a different company, and I was asking some questions to see how we could improve. One suggestion was to give multiple options when giving a quote as they liked the fact that some of the design companies they contacted gave multiple options.

Up to this point we try to get a potential client's website "wants" and then design a quote around that. Do any of you as a general practice give multiple options on a quote, even if you know what they "said" they wanted? Would love to hear your thoughts on that. Also, we're looking into redesigning how we give our quotes. I wonder if a client wants more or less info. Any thoughts on that as well have you come across some good examples online of design quotes? Thanks in advance.

Alan

amontheweb, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    giving multiple options has both good and bad results
    good - because you give so many options as ADDITIONS ,clients end up paying 50-100% more
    Bad - if you give too many options to choose from, client ends up getting confused, losing you a client

something like

logo - 10$, 3d logo - 5$ additional, scaleable vector ( so you can stretch out logo as much as you want- 10$)

people will usually end up paying 25, when they need just 1

and now - choose this - logo - 10$, 3d logo - 15$, svg logo - 25$

this is over choice, you probably will lose 10-20% of your clients.

think about it

competent123, Nov 1, 2013 IP
  3. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you have to provide choices, but keep them to a minimum and be careful how you word them - as per the advice of competent123.

My own experience (over a LOT of years....I'm getting on now!) clearly shows that too many options make it too difficult for most customers to make a firm decision. Don't let this single experience with a single customer influence you too much. It's just anecdotal evidence from a single person who maybe likes things to be complicated. Fact is, most customers don't. They want to know what they are getting, for what price, in what timeframe.

You have the added disadvantage in that most people don't understand the business you are in, and they certainly don't understand just how complicated and time-consuming it can be to create a tailored site and individual site that works for them. Keep jargon to a minimum.

RonBrown, Nov 1, 2013 IP
    competent123 likes this.
  4. Traditione

Traditione Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The wants of your client are the options.

Anyone in charge of a business wants as much control as possible. Give more options and you will generate more sales.

Too many convoluted options that are not options, but spin, are what causes problems.

If I'm looking for a banner design, I want to be able to select size/color template/images or icons/static or animated/time and frames in animation/vector/etc. This helps eliminate complaints and confusion.

If you work "to order" and don't provide clear options, you're hurting sales.

Let the client tell you they don't want to choose things and want you to take care of it, never assume this is the case.

Traditione, Nov 1, 2013 IP