1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Brain Fuzzed Over With RSS, Social Bookmarking and Blogs

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by billnc, May 9, 2008.

I don't know why the whole RSS, Social Bookmarking and Blog thing has been so hard for me to grasp. To all appearances, I'm a reasonably intelligent guy.

I've been on the internet since before there was a WWW, and I've fooled around with Internet Marketing for a couple of years.

I can do basic html learned from online tutorials, but here are my cries for help:

1. With social bookmarking, when I add content to my website (NOT a blog), is the trick to set up RSS, so that it automatically gets submitted?

2. Is it a good idea or a bad idea to submit to as many social bookmarking sites as possible?

3. Will RSS even work with a regular website and not just a blog?

4. Let's say I add an article on a dedicated page to my website. Do I
    just put RSS code on it, so it will get to the social bookmarking sites where
    I've registered?

5. What is the best way to come up with appropriate tags for an article?

I DID, at least, find a simple free video tutorial about Social Bookmarking.
    www.commoncraft.com/bookmarking-plain-english. This helped a lot.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Bill

billnc, May 9, 2008 IP
  2. skaterkee

skaterkee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RSS is nothing to do with Social Bookmarking, it's just a way to keep users updated without visiting the site/blog for example they can add you RSS feed with all your site updates to their browser or favorite reader and only click through when a new post catches their eye.

skaterkee, May 9, 2008 IP
  3. billnc

billnc Peon

Best Answers:
    So there is no way to have your new content automatically submitted to social bookmarking sites once you are registered there?

Also, is it a bad thing or a good thing to have your stuff submitted to a LOT of social bookmarking sites?

I appreciate responses very much!

billnc, May 9, 2008 IP
  4. shacow

shacow Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im sure there is a way to submit your content to social bookmarking sites automatically, but I havent seen any. You could add their buttons from their tools page to your site if you wanted to submit them.. It doenst take long.

I wouldnt see any reason why it would be bad to submit your content to a lot of bookmarking sites, at the end of the day - the more the better.

As for rss, if you arent using a pre built cms to publish your content you will have to write your own rss feed that will update when you add new content. I am in the process of writing an rss feeder for my photography site so it updates when I upload a new photo as I wrote my own gallery script and havent been able to find any 'out of the box' rss feeders that will do the job. A quick search on google should give you some help on how to write a simple rss feeder.

regards :) Shaun

shacow, May 12, 2008 IP