1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Myspace Marketing Isn't worth it

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by affihq, Oct 26, 2006.

If you are thinking, or planning on marketing your fresh new website through myspace, then you might want to think again. I have been playing around with Myspace for several months, and needless to say that it isn't as good of a marketing spot as it used to be.

It is amazing if you have something incredibly viral that you can promote through the wheels of myspace ( kind of like a pass it on sort of deal) but if you aren't acting virally it won't be too effective.

Let's say you have adding robots running 24/7 and your adding thousands of friends per day. This is a tough job seriously. You get maybe anywhere between 10% and 1% to actually visit the site and your adding approximately 5 friends per minute. So overall you can expect to get anywhere between 500-600 visits per day. The conversion ratio is also pretty horendous...at a very low 1-2%

So if your doing straight sales you can expect to receive a mere 2-3 sales per day by doing myspace marketing, which isn't too bad.

The problem comes where the traffic you are getting isn't residual, and in order to maintain your traffic and increase it, you would have to repeat the process over and over every single day.

This is very tiring and strenuous, and kind of deters from most of our end goals and that would be to have residual traffic, that we do not have to promote to get.

The traffic just shows up and we don't have to work for it. If the site is very viral then you should see an increase in traffic by doing myspace marketing to the point were you don't need to do any marketing what-so-ever and the traffic builds itself.

Unfortunately, I haven't found this combination, and I have tried a lot of things to get the all sacred viral plague spreading on myspace.

Even if you do find something that is interesting and as viral as you are looking for, then you don't need to rely on myspace to promote your site, because it will be self promoting, and people will talk about it anyways without anything underhanded as myspace marketing.

In conclusion, if your traffic isn't residual in a week of myspace marketing, it may be time to head back to the drawing board, and the drawing board is where I spend plenty of my time ;)

affihq, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  2. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    What robot are you using? You should try badder adder. If you have 10+ accounts its a lifesaver. (it has a nifty chaining feature, so you can add friends accross all your accounts with the click of a single button). Also, what are you promoting? There are some things that just dont work well on myspace.

Crynos, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  3. affihq

affihq Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I have scripted my own bot that allows me to generate X amount of users for myspace. I have done it so that I could litterally be running myspace botting and everything 24/7 and generate tons of friends within a decent amount of time.
    The only thing is that it has to be running all the time to actually see the traffic. The point is to generate a residual/viral source of traffic that is basically free.

affihq, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  4. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, well a couple of good backlinks from some of those visitors may make you think twice about your plans. Just hang in there and it will pay off!

P.S. I sleep on my drawing board. :D

Kaptain Kangaroo, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  5. Hoosierhunter

Hoosierhunter Peon

Best Answers:
    I typically only use Myspace as a means of reconnecting with old friends. It used to be popular, but I hear there are other sites with more buzz now. Is there a way to utilize you tube?

Hoosierhunter, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  6. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can create high quality videos and place a link on them they can be a good source of traffic

Crynos, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  7. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, as a Myspace user, I do receive advertisement and so on in my bulletins and that sure is a quick way of getting that person banned from my list of friends. I don't quite like unsolicitated marketing on Myspace and the people that are on my list feels the same way too. I guess people don't quite look into such things anymore.

eddy2099, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  8. affihq

affihq Peon

Best Answers:
    spam out 100s of par/subpar videos with your link in the video and by the power of numbers you will get maybe 10k uniques.

affihq, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  9. The SEO Hippy

The SEO Hippy Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you add spammy accounts in the first place? They are not hard to spot.

But you're right, there is no money in MySpace ;)

The SEO Hippy, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  10. deep034

deep034 Peon

Best Answers:
    well u cant say there isnt any money in MySpace, there are still sites that make thousands and just b/c ur site isnt one of them that doesnt mean myspace is broke.
    to make money you need to have unique content, there are hundreds of sites using the same layout and scripts. the challenge here is can u make a script that myspace users will like and no other site has it. or you can just make decent layouts and content for myspace like freeweblayouts.net does.
    i have a website at officialpimpspace.com , im not very successfull either. its been up for two weeks and getting about 500-700 uniques. but im not givin up yet since I kno my site isnt like the rest of other hunderds of sites. i constantly try to make scripts that are unique and attract attention, one of my recent ones is the script for flash mp3 players. ya there are other scripts like that but not like mines. check it out to believe it for urself.
    there is money i nalmost anything but u gota work hard to get there.

deep034, Oct 26, 2006 IP
    agnivo007 likes this.
  11. shyren

shyren Banned

Best Answers:
    did anyone considered orkut/youtube based marketing? i would love to hear results

shyren, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  12. playkid

playkid Peon

Best Answers:
    if you try to post a link on you tube, it wont be a live one. and be careful Google owns youtube now =P

playkid, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  13. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MySpace can be effective if you take the time to market specifically to your web site's niche.

Tyler Banfield, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  14. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think myspace is a excellent channel to promote anything but it has to be uniqued and attractive. Before you promote anything, thinking if you're myspace user, will you interesting in this ads? Also built reputation, not just spammy.

Sxperm, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  15. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    There is a huge difference between marketing and spamming.
    Unfortunately most people do the second

fryman, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  16. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    MySpace can be a tool much like a ride 'em lawnmower. Now if you have to clean out the garage it won't help you much, but get stuck in a corn maze and you're all set.

Roman, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  17. affihq

affihq Peon

Best Answers:
    that is mostly true, if you just fill myspace with whatever comes into your head, and expect to get results by the power of numbers alone. The use of myspace will overall be a big waste of time and money.

But if your product is truly good and you direct it at the right target market, and they take hold of it. It does promote itself.

That is what I'm saying, instead of trying to fit a circle into a square, then why not fit a square into a square.

affihq, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  18. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, for me myspace has become one of the top-referrers, but that's based on me personally interacting with people and giving them the kind of bulletin's they want, that fit my niche (or two niches, roughly).

kh7, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  19. The Special One

The Special One Guest

Best Answers:
    On a personal level I use myspace to make money. My report laid out the foundations and the method works.

:)Just as long as you dont spam!

The Special One, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  20. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    I know people who have pulled $50,000 in a few weeks from myspace. The C&D's, phone calls, and lawsuits came the next week. While you just don't know how to market it properly I would suggest everyone be very careful as big brother is watching you and all that.

30k Challenge, Oct 27, 2006 IP