1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MyStarterBlog: My WP alternative

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by MISsupport, Mar 10, 2009.

Someone ask for other CMS in another thread. I was about to post what's below but decided to open a new thread instead so not to take over his.

Okay, I'm biased(my software) but I now use MyStarterBlog on my secondary blogs.

I still use WP on my main blog, for now.

But depending on your need, MSB does not use any database on the server. You blog on your computer and upload the generated files to the server. It's php based so you can add third party scripts or video like Youtube embed code easy.

However, you don't have online comments but people can still email you their comments from the post itself. At least, you don't have comment spammers. ;)

The themes are SEO optimize from the start so no plugin needed. My theme designer sell his MSB eBay plugin for $7. This way, MSB replace BANS, phpBay API or phpBay/WP and use 75-200K of space. Btw, I used/bought all of those before.

Those that use MSB like that it's small and lighter on their server. Plus, they don't have the security issues of a backend CMS solution like WP since many don't like to update their WP blogs often.

Since I'm lazy ;) , I added the feature to import a WP export xml file into MSB. You will have to remove WP plugin code in the post.

You can also import a batch of text files too thus create a blog in seconds.

The basic version is free but the registered version is only $7.

It's on Windows only.

MISsupport, Mar 10, 2009 IP
  2. MISsupport

MISsupport Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to mentioned that version 1.7.0 is available.

During the last few months, I added many features in MSB based on the user feedback. Most of them are Internet Marketers like me. ;) They like the small resource a generated blog takes on their server.

But with this version, you can now create unlimited blogs/sites/landing page that are SEO friendly. Plus, I don't leave a footprint.

Take a look if you did not have time the last time.

It's still $7 with free upgrade for life.

MISsupport, May 24, 2009 IP
  3. ishan001

ishan001 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Windows only? Most WP bloggers use Linux, so I don't think its that big alternative!

ishan001, May 24, 2009 IP
  4. MISsupport

MISsupport Peon

Best Answers:
    ishan001, I want to make this more clearer for you since my first message might had confused some like you who did not visit the site to know more. ;)

MyStarterBlog is a Windows(XP,Vista) based software that generate the blog on your computer. You then upload the generated files(php) to your linux server not a windows server like you might had think.

That's a better alternative to WP for us Internet Marketers who mostly use Windows XP,Vista for our IM tools.

5. sylv3rblade

sylv3rblade Peon

Best Answers:
    so you just upload files AFTER installing them from your PC? Where's the database? Flatfiles?

sylv3rblade, May 24, 2009 IP
  6. MISsupport

MISsupport Peon

Best Answers:
    My first response would be for you to try the software. ;)

But to answer you, the generated blog files are flat. The database(post, pages) is part of MSB on your PC.

If you change hosting, you just need to reupload those files to the new host because you have, in a sense, a backup on your PC. With WP, you would need to deal with the MySQL database.

For example, one of my friend is flipping sites using MSB and thus save time by just sending the generated files to the buyer. He told me that he saved a lot of time because of that.

Look at it from an Internet Marketer point of view:

I can create 1000s of sites without having to go back because WP or online CMS had a security breach. Set and forget is best.

The space I save is huge versus WP. This allow me to add more sites per reseller account on my host thus saving me more money over time.

One feature(paid) allow me to import 100s of PLR text files in a batch to create a target subject blog.

Btw, MSB is free but I also offer added features in the paid version like I mentioned above.

7. sylv3rblade

sylv3rblade Peon

Best Answers:
    um ok I just had to LOL. As a developer, I know how flatfiles and databases work. You need a more convincing argument than disk access vs sql query.

oh and by the way, FlatPress offers a FREE flatfile version of wordpress, much like what you're trying to peddle but with admittedly more polish.

sylv3rblade, May 24, 2009 IP
  8. MISsupport

MISsupport Peon

Best Answers:
    I had this argument with other developers before and if you put 25 in a room and you will have 25 alternatives. Granted, developers know to use many tools thus might not find MSB to their liking and I don't have a problem with that.

But if you think like an Internet Marketer(most are not developers) WITH a business model to create 100s to 1000s of sites, then time and money are major factors. I greatly prefer the "set and forget" type of sites to earn me passive income. Okay, MSB is not passive for me. ;)

But to give a real example that happend recently: The SQL server on an hosting company was not working properly. Users that still had WP blogs/BANS could not do nothing but their MSB were still available to visitors. Now, imagine having 250 sites making you $1+/day and this happened to you. You would not be happy.

Worst, the SQL can become corrupted. It happend to me last month and I lost the last post(1000 words post) I was writing thus lost many hours. I had to redo it from my memory(another few hours).

On another of my blog last year, I was infected by a MySQL injection virus thus had a site corrupted. I did not had time to update to the new version of WP at that time.

I know, those are rare but it's an issue that did happened to me and others.

Also, from an IM point of view, speed for loading a site is critical because visitors don't like to wait. Their attention span is very short thus click away. How many threads here are about making their sites load quicker?

For example, I converted an adult site(funny cartoons) that I was no longer adding content to it from WP to MSB. Since the ads are CPM based, I saw an increase in my revenue since it loads faster. Plus, I don't have to update WP anymore. In MSB, I can import the WP XML file. Someone could have a secondary blog that they don't really update anymore so MSB is an alternative.

Btw, the guy who did the MSB themes for MSB released the MSB eBay plugin(paid). In case you don't know, last year, Big G deindexed most BANS sites because it had an easy footprint for Big G to find. He was using his own plugin thus his sites were not deindexed. We work on integrating his plugin into MSB with a Hiding feature. Version 2 of his plugin now compete with phpBay too.

Is MyStarterBlog for you? maybe not but it's for Internet Marketers that don't want to be developers or want to overload/update their hosting account with 100s of WP.

MISsupport, May 25, 2009 IP
  9. sylv3rblade

sylv3rblade Peon

Best Answers:
    So since internet marketers have little or no idea how Wordpress works you offer them an INFERIOR product for a fee?

Also you seem to be fond throwing up the flatfile vs database argument so I'd like to quote what I've said earlier.

Why? Just ask yourself, why do large sites don't use flatfiles? Why use relational databases instead of storing all your data on random files? Does DIGG use flatfiles? Does reddit use flatfiles?

So the answer to neglecting YOUR responsibility of keeping your wordpress updated with security fixes is to bash wordpress. Nice point of view LOL.

sylv3rblade, May 25, 2009 IP
  10. aprilkerr

aprilkerr Guest

Best Answers:
    I have been using MSB for a couple of months now and the main reasons that I like it are:

I can use it with the NicheMate plugin that allows ebay and amazon affiliate products to be listed.

This makes a much better alternative to Build A Niche Store (BANS) which all got deindexed last year. The space it takes up on the server is much smaller which means I can have more sites hosted too.

Much quicker to set up than a WP site

Obviously there is a small learning curve but honestly once you have gotten used to it it's mega quick

No need to constantly make sure that I've made backups of databases and upgraded to the latest version

I have a copy of the site on my own hard disk so if anything goes wrong with my web host I don't have to panic. Also, if I move the sites to a new host all I have to do is upload the files rather than install WP from scratch.

All in all, this isn't really for those who want a single all-singing-all-dancing social blog. It's for those who are creating many niche blogs (particularly those that are to be monetized with ebay/amazon) and don't want to put too much stain on their web host.

aprilkerr, May 25, 2009 IP
  11. djuicePK

djuicePK Peon

Best Answers:
    I also don't like the flatfile systems thats why i quit movabletype when it wasn't having a dynamic publishing yet and i moved to WP... wordpress is a lot more powerful and flexible.. who cares about setup time and managing backup when you have a great software with thousands of useful plugins, i don't think this can be near to WP as an alternative...

yes for newbies, it might be

djuicePK, May 25, 2009 IP
  12. MISsupport

MISsupport Peon

Best Answers:
    1. The "fee"(just $7USD) is for the advanced optional features. The free version does offer many features like being SEO out of the box without needing many popular plugins.

2. How many plugins are sold for WP? Do you object that people make money from their hard work selling WP related themes/products? Btw, WP make money too from the hosting earned from wp.com.

3. With the current recession, many become new Internet Marketers and later become more aware on the impact of having small resource sites on the same account.

4. I never said MSB was superior to WP but it's a better alternative for IMers in many cases. Heck, I don't handle comments in MSB like WP but I don't get spam either on my MSB sites.

5. Some ask for donations but I ask for a fee and give free upgrades for life.

lol You can't compare to sites where they have their own servers/server administrator ... It's a different context here.

I told you myself that I did not had time to update WP on that blog. I did not hide that fact and accepted MY responsibility. I was not "bashing" WP but a security risk is less present in MSB since it does not have MySQL or backend. But imagine having to do a WP update to 100s if not 1000s of sites. I'm not talking about dealing with one site here.

If people want to use WP for their flagship blog, I don't have any problem with that. Often time, they will update WP, update the plugins... since they use it more often. The secondary blogs are another matter.

Thanks aprilkerr for the feedback/comment

Yes, you had a learning curve when I started but it get better with each versions based on user feedback like you. :D

djuicePK: Like aprilkerr mentioned, WP is better for "social" bloggers.

13. aprilkerr

aprilkerr Guest

Best Answers:
    How many blogs do you have? I can tell it's not in the region of 200 otherwise you won't be saying that! :D

aprilkerr, May 25, 2009 IP
  14. djuicePK

djuicePK Peon

Best Answers:
    may be its more than that :)

Not just me but i also have more clients than your numbers who are using WP and I have customize it for every need they want.. not just blogging but big big sites too..

djuicePK, May 25, 2009 IP
  15. MISsupport

MISsupport Peon

Best Answers:
    But those are individual clients and not your own sites. It's different.

What aprilkerr is doing is niche marketing. You own the sites/profits from them.

If you are a web designer and the client pay you for the updates/maintenance, it's not the same thing because they pay you.

Now, if they did not pay you and you had 200+ sites to update, then it's a lot of hours on your dime.

Let's say it's 200 sites x 3 minutes each. That's 10 hours. Okay, now imagine that you have a major update(WP 2.8). How much time you will take per site to find plugin updates if they are still working properly.

In niche marketing, you don't get paid to do that part of the work thus you want to minimize those tasks.

Maybe I should had rename the thread to:

MyStarterBlog: My WP alternative for niche marketing.

16. sylv3rblade

sylv3rblade Peon

Best Answers:
    actually it's the same context. It's just a question of scale.

setup (yourself or ask the admin for your server)a bash script. IF you've got THOUSANDS of sites then the most logical thing to keep those sites up and dandy (in other words, updated AND stable) is look for an automated way to keep them updated. Hence the script.

sylv3rblade, May 26, 2009 IP
  17. MISsupport

MISsupport Peon

Best Answers:
    No it's not the same as the sites your mentioned above. The usage is not about "socializing" or keeping data on the server.

It's about showing information, affiliate offers or show ads to visitors/buyers in a blog format. The interactivity is limited but still possible if a user want it for that too.

I don't need a batch script using MSB because the files are different from site to site. You only need it if you use a third party plugin for example.

Plus, any smart Internet marketer would not us 1 dedicated server for ALL their sites/infrastructure. We spread them across many hosting/IP.

Like I specified above, MSB is targeted at Internet marketers first.
    Write a 10 posts niche and it will take 200KB in MSB. In WP, it will take 4000KB(no post yet) and you have to install the plugins for the sitemap, All-In-SEO, change the permalink ....

MISsupport, May 26, 2009 IP