1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Narrowing down the CMS field for a resource/article/user's website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by cbmr777, Jan 15, 2007.

I'm fairly sure that I've narrowed the CMS field to either Joomla or Drupal. (I'd add Typo3 but I've heard the learning curve is way too steep.) And although I have played a bit with the demos at opensourcecms.com, I'm not keen on focusing on one or the other and learning a new software if it is not going to work in the end. Frankly, my experience level is newbie, however when I put my hand to the plow I learn the software. I learned Nucleus fairly quickly as well as Coppermine and SMF. But I know this website project will be much more involved. I'm not on a deadline timetable for this, so I can take a bit of time to learn a new system. (although not forever, iykwim?)

Anyway, here are my full requirements:

Website that I like and will be along the same lines of what I will be developing: (not necessarily the design but the concept)
    [www.naturalparenting.com.au]

what: articles on topics, directory of businesses by location, and reviews of products/businesses, and more

website features:

1. excellent user mgmt w/specific permissions -
    visitor blogger, staff writers, editorial staff, admin of each section, admin of entire system

2. articles mgmt -
    new articles highlighted front page w/teasers,
    articles archived over time but still accessible by search/article index
    author profiles
    related articles
    article rating/comments
    printable articles
    RSS feeds of articles/website

3. News input into website by category
    RSS feeds imported into website of relevant local/national news on relevant topics within specific categories

4. Advertising banner mgmt program

5. directory of businesses
    organized by city/region
    searchable by user... i.e. find all natural health stores w/in 20 miles of me & other relevant criteria a user might want
    reviews of the business by visitors to the website

6. Products
    reviews
    option for user to find businesses that sell that product in their stores

7. website design
    either will modify a theme already made or custom design my own theme; prefer to be valid XHMTL and CSS. ADA accessible a big plus!

8. Subdomain websites off main website for support group info
    for different types of non-profits.
    searchable and directory of groups
    groups could be "listed" under support category or within specific categories, i.e. LLL groups under breastfeeding category
    Group leaders maintain their own content on their group pages

9. User interactivity
    own blogs (in specific areas of the website)
    article submission for approval
    membership subscription (maybe)
    commenting/rating on articles, reviews, etc.
    polls/surveys
    weather for their area based on zip code they input - cookie to remember at their next visit.
    photo gallery (have experience with Coppermine but could use another if necessary)
    paypal donation
    already have an established *private* SMF forum (will keep login separate from website due to the private nature of the forum)
    maybe more as dictated by popular demand over time

10. Website info architecture
    several interconnecting yet separate categories
    there will be 2 levels at this time: a main category & subcategories

Thanks for any input you can give me. :)

cbmr777, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  2. cbmr777

cbmr777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone have an opinion? I did wait 3 days before bugging ya'll again. :eek:

cbmr777, Jan 18, 2007 IP