1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

NC Spammer sentenced 9 years

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Colleen, Nov 4, 2004.

I was wondering what people thought of this. Is 9 years too harsh for sending hundreds of thousands of unwanted e-mails or is it too light?

--------------------------
    A North Carolina man was sentenced to nine years in prison for sending hundreds of thousands of unwanted e-mail messages, Virginia prosecutors said Wednesday.

Jeremy Jaynes of Raleigh was found guilty under a Virginia state law that sets limits on the number of e-mails marketers can send in a given time period and prohibits them from using fake e-mail addresses, Virginia Attorney General Jerry Kilgore said.

Jaynes' sister, Jessica DeGroot, was also found guilty and fined $7,500, Kilgore said. An associate, Richard Rutkowski, was found not guilty.

Jaynes, who used the alias Gaven Stubberfield, was ranked by watchdog group The Spamhaus Project as the eighth-most prolific spammer in the world when he was arrested last December.

The messages sent out by Jaynes advertised penny stocks, low mortgage rates and software to erase Internet browsing records, Virginia officials said. Jaynes sent out more than 100,000 such messages over a 30-day period in July and August 2003 in violation of state law, according to the charges.

DeGroot was convicted after prosecutors proved that she used her credit card to help the operation.

"This is a major victory for Virginians and all Americans," Kilgore said in a statement. Jaynes' attorney was not immediately available for comment.

Although both Jaynes and DeGroot lived in North Carolina, Virginia asserted jurisdiction because they sent messages through server computers located in the state.

Roughly 50 percent of the world's Internet traffic passes through Virginia, home to big Internet companies like MCI and Time Warner's America Online unit.

Many forms of spam are also illegal under a national law that took effect in January.
    --------------------------
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5438340.html

Colleen, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  2. Dji-man

Dji-man Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I saw that too. 9 years in jail is insane. That's more than many crimes with violence or for defrauding shareholders (Enron) or taxpayers (Halliburton) of millions of $$$. But that's another story. Maybe he should have contributed more to the GOP "electoral fund".

He should have been banned from using the Internet for 9 years though, just like they did with Mitnick.

Dji-man, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  3. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    i could go outside and beat a woman unconcious and then rape her and get less time then that

ferret77, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  4. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously, I don't think the punishment fit the crime.

ResaleBroker, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Phew, I though you meant me..... ;)

NewComputer, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  6. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I am probably going to get a big bashing for this statement, BUT I am glad he got the jail term he did. Spammers are always trying to get around any type of software or program anyone uses to prevent spam. I hope to see a lot more jail terms of this type plus if there is anyway I can help to produce those I am happy to. I HATE SPAMMERS.

I dont want to see emails coming from god knows what kind of company trying to sell me drugs to make your *&^% bigger or give you longer staying power or anything else. My wife is a Doctor and she has told me with these kind of companies you dont know where they are getting these drugs or if their shelf life has expired or anything else.

The US has strict policies on drugs that no other country uses. This helps protect consumers in the US purchasing these drugs. Places like Canada and Europe dont enforce these same restrictions as the US.

Las Vegas Homes, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  7. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    9 years is a crazy amount of time!! I think they are annoying and it's probably along the same lines as theft... would you get 9 years for theft?

Weirfire, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  8. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I agree that the punishment does not fit the crime, when compared to other crimes but i really hate junk mail, and maybe this will send a message to other spammers and they will back off a little.

exam, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  9. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    It's a bit unfair though that 1 person gets over time just to deter other spammers.

I was just reading the article... Jaynes allegedly tried to send 7.7 million spams in a day!! :eek: and that she raked approx $24 million from selling via spam.

Weirfire, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  10. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    LOL, what's the new "pad" like NC?

Lever, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  11. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    LV Homes..

Do you realize how long NINE years is? Nobody deserves that much time for sending spam...

schlottke, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  12. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    I agree. It says in the report that they will be formally sentenced in February where the judge may change the length of the sentence.

Weirfire, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  13. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I would have thought 1 year is alot, but 9!!! :eek:

I understand why they're doing it but also think it's a bit much.

Colleen, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  14. New Jersey Home Inspector

New Jersey Home Inspector Grunt

Best Answers:
    Nine years for him will make others think twice.

If I had a choice he would have had to spend all nine WITH Martha.

15. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the forums Accurate.

Who's Martha?

Weirfire, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  16. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Martha Stuart, Weir...

http://www.marthastewart.com/

Welcome Accurate1 - that's funny, but harsh, it's Marsha! That's a fate worse then death.

Colleen, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  17. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Is that the thing about the stock broker?

Weirfire, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  18. ResaleBroker

Best Answers:
    To me, this sends the message that our justice system is not "objective" or "fair". :(

19. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I will say, yes it is a little much for the crime, but as it was stated by another poster, it will send a message and maybe others will think twice before doing it.

Those spammers that send this JUNK out and believe they cant be traced, well think again, cause if you are caught well as it was said , think about spending 9 years in prison to make a little pocket change. IS IT WORTH IT!!

Las Vegas Homes, Nov 4, 2004 IP
  20. ResaleBroker

Best Answers:
    If the punishment is consistently enforced Spammers might get the message. I don't see consistent enforcement happening anytime soon however. :(