1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Advice onStarting A Driving Service! *Help*

Discussion in 'General Business' started by TheNaturalNy, Sep 17, 2015.

Hello, everyone!

After seeing how kind, knowledgable and friendly everyone is on here I had to join. Looking forward to getting to know you all as well as making new friends! So, I had this idea and I'd like to know if it's possible. I'll explain it briefly then go into more detail as we talk. I'm super confident in myself and know the core of the idea is my passion - as this would be the first time I started a business.

I'd like to start a driving service in Nyc: this would involve me picking up pedestrians hailing from the streets and driving them to their desired location in my family's personally owned car - for a meter I can use an app from my phone. My concern is how to get started (legal permits) and if it's allowed in Nyc. Thank you!

P.S. I live in CT, so all I'd have to do is just register my business in NY

TheNaturalNy, Sep 17, 2015 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Does Uber have a forum? I'd be asking someplace like that

A quick google threw up this info: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/industry/licenses_main.shtml

I don't know about the US but where I live the moment I provide a service and transport people in my vehicle, even if it's free, I need a taxi license so I imagine you will too.

sarahk, Sep 17, 2015 IP
  3. TheNaturalNy

TheNaturalNy Peon

Best Answers:
    Sarah, Thanks so much for your reply! You really helped a lot. What I would add is that there are a lot of confusing things in this process. 1) Is this the only license/permit I'd need? I recently read you have to have a different drivers* license (chauffeurs license or equivalent. Is a class A,B,C,E considered equivalent?) 2) I have a CT license and live in CT and if needed I would not have a NYC address to base my business from. Most Importantly, in general how do I get started, i.e., 3) what type of license do I need for what I'm trying to do? Thanks for your patience. This is my first business and i don't want to make any mistakes and I want to do this right. :)

4. TheNaturalNy

TheNaturalNy Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently came across this and am uncertain what type of license I'd need or if this restricts me from performing my ideahttp://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/industry/current_licensees.shtml

Also, one thing that comes to mind is buying a taxi via craigslist that is already certified and buying the medallion cheap and just using that. Thoughts?