1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need CMS/E-commerce for computer builder

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by SkySeven, Jun 19, 2008.

We're starting a small local business that will sell computers. What type of software do you guys suggest to start a site that allows customers to choose/build custom configurations?

thanks

SkySeven, Jun 19, 2008 IP
  2. Darkarts

Darkarts Peon

Best Answers:
    There are quite a few which will be up to the job, easy option would be cubecart version 3 or 4 both have the ability to add product options which can also vary the price of the system, the downside is you need to pay for copyright removal on both and the more advanced ver 4 is over $100.00 purchase price. Also you can change the look to suit but it can take a long time.

Your second option would be magento found at magentocommerce this has loads of features is open source but is far more complex than cube and would take double the time. however i find that once you know the basics its far more custom.

Hope this helps there are more but the above are what i use in when building ecommerce for a customer.

Darkarts, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  3. rebelagent

rebelagent Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally use X-Cart and they have an addon at an addition cost that would fit your needs perfectly. x-cart dot com

I've been using them about 6 months. I don't use the advanced products options add on though.

rebelagent, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  4. oldsteel68

oldsteel68 Peon

Best Answers:
    Use Joomla with Virtuemart component. FREE :D

Its very powerful..

Magento is a good cart too, but it is still in its infancy and has many issues right now from an SEO point..

oldsteel68, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  5. ramzwatcher

ramzwatcher Peon

Best Answers:
    There are few open source software that you should consider and it based on your requirement and skills.

There are:
    - Magento (still new and reported to have bugs but it have cleanest coding so far.)
    - OsCommerce (the shopping cart that start it all ;) )
    - ZenCart (I recommend this one if you still new with e-commerce thing. Its easy to use than OsCommerce)
    - CRE Loaded (the basic is from Oscommerce actually)

I have not try joomla virtuemart yet, so i can't really gives my comment on that.

You can read my review here: http://e-commerce-software.opensoftreview.com/

Hopefully helpful.

Thanks

ramzwatcher, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  6. emagin

emagin Peon

Best Answers:
    Is your site going to be pure online store or will you also have content?
    The answer should be, also content.
    In that case, stay away from pure ecommerce solutions, they are usually very very complex, and then when you want to do marketing, seo and such you will be in a world of hurt.

Go with a solid CMS system and then add the best in class commerce solution to its framework.

Look at Drupal, Joomla, etc and add cart to that

emagin, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  7. emagin

emagin Peon

Best Answers:
    OsCommerce is a nested morass of choices and code
    ZenCart is better but not easy
    Almost all the open source commerce solutions have one flaw - UI. The UI is so weak that your eyes water trying to make choices. UI is #1 thing in shopping - it must be easy, smooth and look good.

There are some paid solutions but I'm not sure they are worth the money.
    I'd look at Joomla/Virtuemart and then get a good CSS developer from DP to help you make it look nice.

emagin, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  8. mrphp

mrphp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shopping Cart to be consider.

1. Creloaded - Im using it for over 3 years now and I never had a problem with it.
    2. Oscommerce - Most of my clients use it and they're happy.
    3. Zencart
    4. Xcart
    5. Oscmax
    6. Cubecart
    7. Magento - Not recommended at the moment due to a very slow performance. I hope they will fix that soon.
    As I really love the features the clean code etc etc. I was only disappointed with the performance.

mrphp, Jun 24, 2008 IP