1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need CMS for Travel Journal Reviews - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by looper, Jan 18, 2008.

Hi all,

I am looking to consolidate all the travel reviews (including hotel, restaurant, and attraction reviews) on our website under a CMS. Till now I've been doing it by hand, but it's really not working out for us as it's not very maintainable.

An example of such a trip journal is at:
    http://www.ianandwendy.com/OtherTrips/ChinaVietnamCambodia/Vietnam/Trip-Report-Vietnam.htm
    On the right hand side of this page, you'll see a "Other Vietnam Info" which leads to sub-pages with the same content as the page. Having such subpages is an effort to improve my google ranking for people searching for a specific hotel or restaurant (and works well, and google doesn't seem to penalize me for duplicated content)

My requirements are:
    1. For each travel journal (usually per country), I want a web page that has the content of all the reviews for this country, in the right order, so our readers can choose to read it as a long narrative/trip diary
    2. For each section of the review, I want a different web page (with an appropriate title, meta keywords, etc) with automatically copied content from the main review.
    3. I should be able to relatively easily integrate it into the existing site design (such as it is), so that it seems seamless
    4. It would be nice to have a comment system, so that readers can leave their own comments about the places we review

I've been looking at Wordpress, and Joomla, and neither seem to fit that well. I don't see that Joomla gives me the ability to have content duplicated from one page to the other easily. Wordpress will give me this as correctly ordered blog posts (and I can selectively display certain countries by using keywords), but it could be difficult to seamlessly integrate it to our current site design.

If we find a CMS that works well, I'm not averse to the idea of applying a new template/theme to our website. At the moment our pages have a liquid CSS layout, with nice rounded corners, etc etc but I think it's a little too "cutting edge". CSS standards for liquid flow layout of complicated pages are a mess, and at the moment our site is not very browser compliant - so I'm prepared to just give up and just follow the masses to 1000 width minimum, everyone else has to scroll or has blank space.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ian

looper, Jan 18, 2008 IP