1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need CMS, geared toward blogging..

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by jestep, Apr 6, 2006.

I'm looking for a CMS right now. I need it to be able to have a massive blogging section, as well as being able to have the normal CMS attributes, and the ability to syndicate rss or other feeds directly into the website.

I've been playing with Mambo, but it is far lacking in its ability to do what I need it to, at least as far as I can tell. I also tried Drupal, but again, just wasn't what I was looking for.

I've been looking at http://www.semiologic.com/ and they look promising.

I also need it to support multiple blogs within the same site, and possibly agregate them into a single section of the site.

Any suggestions?

jestep, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  2. rszrama

rszrama Peon

Best Answers:
    I highly recommend Drupal. It is fully capable of doing all these things and more. It has a large and growing community of developers and is quite stable and secure. Version 4.7 RC 1 was just released and is what I do all my development in. I would definitely go for it if I were you. Module installation is a snap, and development is much fun. :) The standard blog module should be able to achieve what you're looking for, but you should certainly check it out to make sure.

It has built in forum functionality, but if you're looking at using a vBulletin forum for the site, I have a module in the works to integrate Drupal with vBulletin. (This work is different from vbDrupal as it is a module that you install, not a rewrite of Drupal core to combine sessions/users.) It's actually coming along quite nicely, and as I'm working on it for my boss I expect it to be done soon and support to continue. There are plenty of other modules available as well, and I'm of course more than happy to talk about special needs development if you have any. ;)

The site is http://www.drupal.org, and my email is szrrya_at_yahoo_dot_com if you have any questions.

rszrama, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  3. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I installed drupal and reinstalled is several times on my server, and that system is nothing but a pain in the A$$.

As soon as the site is built and I try to log in, I get access denied to get into the admin area. If I cant access anything from of a fresh install, then something is really wrong with the whole program. Found about 100 people with the exact same problem in the discussion forums, and not one bit of useful help for any of them. I'm not going to get into a system with such poor support.

Any other suggestions.

jestep, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  4. brenda003

brenda003 Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal definitely has poor support, but is very powerful if you're willing to work through the problems. You can see my site is run off Drupal and is a blogging site.

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions. I didn't find much when I was looking, either.

brenda003, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  5. rszrama

rszrama Peon

Best Answers:
    Support may be bad at Drupal.org, but it's just not geared toward a personal support site, really. The forums just don't cut it.. but here it's a different story. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

I've actually never experienced this issue you're talking about. I can guarantee you, though, that in the last week I've downloaded and installed the latest release (4.7 RC 2) three times, set up the database, and logged in as an administrator to test a module I'm developing without a hitch. If you're willing to give it a go, grab the latest release (I'm developing on Win XP w/ the latest WAMP server), install it, and post any error messages here.

I love it, and regardless of support have been able to figure out what's going on. So... I'm happy to help! Use me. ;)

rszrama, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  6. brenda003

brenda003 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just curious, what kind of module are you developing? Unfortunately I was having ALL sorts of troubles trying to upgrade to 4.7, even though I reeeeally wanted to. So I gave up and am sticking with 4.6 on most of my sites.

7. rszrama

rszrama Peon

Best Answers:
    I've got two in the works really, though only one is ready to be uploaded. My boss wanted me to start integrating Drupal w/ vBulletin in a non-destructive way. So there is vB Drupal which is great at seamless integration, but you lose functionality of key modules (for us at least, like e-commerce) and it's not in 4.7 at the moment. What my drupalvb module does is provide a non interfering link between the two databases. (Only Drupal->vB right now, no reverse functionality yet.) So when a user registers at our Drupal site, they are also registered on the forum. When they login to the site, the appropriate cookies and sessions are set to log them into the forum. You can see recent forum activity (threads or posts), users online, private messages from within Drupal, and more. I've tried to keep all the stock options configurable, and the admin panel I've made provides links to all the appropriate configuration pages for the blocks/modules/admin and mod CP's.

(This is non-destructive/interfering in that installation requires no changes to Drupal core, just dropping the module in the modules directory and activating it. You have to configure a couple of paths and copy your vB config.php & class_core.php into the module directory, but that's it. I'm game for someone helping me make this even easier.)

The other module in the works is also something for my boss (although it's more done after hours) to interface a Drupal site with eBay to allow item creation, eBay listings, and feeback control for starters. That's still in early stages, but this drupalvb module was a good training ground. I've written a couple other modules for a few different people, and they're steadily improving. I'd like Drubay to be very solid, so I don't mind the jobs in between. :)

rszrama, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  8. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:
    try Joomla! Its best Open source CMS on earth. Very good support... check our www.joomla.org for details.. trust me its THE BEST

icare, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  9. brenda003

brenda003 Peon

Best Answers:
    rszrama, are you planning to release the module to the Drupal community? It sounds AWESOME! I was looking for something like that some months ago because I wanted to use another forum with my Drupal site, but none of the options were appealing to me.

The eBay one sounds nice, as well.

10. rszrama

rszrama Peon

Best Answers:
    hehe Well, I tried a while yesterday to submit it to the CVS repository for contributed modules... and apparently I suck at CVS. I seriously couldn't get anything to work properly, and the documentation they have right now is lacking for Windows users. ;) So, I will try and figure it out in some free time later today hopefully. In any event, if you'd like I can email you the module if you want to see what's there and how you can make it better! Just let me know. :)

rszrama, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  11. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also recommend Joomla. Amazing support community, loads of extensions, inbuilt blogging capabilities

I use it on several sites

I also use WordPress for just blogging

frankcow, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  12. homekeys

homekeys Peon

Best Answers:
    i have been using geeklog from geeklog.net it is working out pretty well there have been a few hitches but so far so good my site is digitalstir.com for some reason my logo looks wrong in internet explorer.

homekeys, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  13. icare

icare Peon

Best Answers:
    I just looked at your signature. I think you are using joomla for your site http://www.justin-cook.com
    I looked at your gallery. Thats what I am looking for my jooomla site. I culdnt fine rite gallery for it. Coppermine is good but I am unable to make its template like my joomla site. there is no such module to integrate coppermine with joomla. Can you please tell me which gallery you are using. It looks like its not fully integrated with joomla but still you have the templates matched and all that.
    Please help.

icare, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  14. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    frankcow, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  15. homekeys

homekeys Peon

Best Answers:
    wow! thanks i hope i can get this to work. im still learning about php and html code...

update...

i do not know where to put that code...

or how to impliment it.

homekeys, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  16. rszrama

rszrama Peon

Best Answers:
    rszrama, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  17. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you found the Blogging CMS of your dreams..? :)

EGS, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  18. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is based on Mambo, in fact is Mambo, the next Generation.

There is also a flat text database based script based on Mambo/Joomla but more stable, called Limbo, but over time will not help you for speed when gathering too much users.

There is a beta multi-users WordPress version available at their site.
    Otherwise try doing a reseach at www.hotscripts.com, www.sourceforge.net or www.berlios.de

Mystique, Apr 15, 2006 IP