1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Help Choosing best Way to go about project

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by cyberhookup, Jun 21, 2008.

Hi all I need suggestions on the best way to set up a new site. It will be an upload site targeted at videos and images but it will be free with ads of course.
    I also want to be able to display latest files uploaded on a seperate page. There will also be a separate blog type site that highlights the best files uploaded to the hosting site. The blog site will also have a forum where anybody can post without having to register. I would also like the user to be able to make the file private or not and have a check box that says its ok to post to the blog site. Also to be able to email it, post it to forums with the appropriate code for bb and html already generated along with a download link.

Now on the blog site I would also like to pull latest forum posts and threads and display them in the sidebar or on the top of the site. I would also like the blog site to have a featured post section along the top or somewhere else that is highly visible. Both sites will need to have plenty of well placed ad space. The blog site will need to have a ad bar that appears at the top of each page along with a network bar that allows users to easily switch between sites. I am currently looking at encodable.com filechucker and userbase because they can be easily integrated but userbase doesn't have a good layout. I am also needing a good cms to put as the blog site that will allow me to post the best content uploaded and have featured posts and allow users to rate them. I am thinking about wordpress but I am not sure how I would work out the pulling forum posts and threads and as space. I am not a coder at all so it would have to be a already made theme that has all those and I couldn't find one that does and looks decent. I like coomgirls.com theme and http://www.unscripted360.com/ theme especially http://www.unscripted360.com/ theme but again I am not a coder and am trying to keep this project as minimalistic as possible in terms of money spending.

If anybody knows of any good cms to get the job done or what the best way to go about this project is let me know.

Thanks
    cyberhookup

cyberhookup, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  2. cyberhookup

cyberhookup Peon

Best Answers:
    Anybody got any suggestions???

cyberhookup, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  3. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think you could cobble this together will Joomla fairly easily.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  4. misha_val

misha_val Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is probably your best bet.
    Good luck

misha_val, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  5. paulhudson

paulhudson Active Member

Best Answers:
    I only have only every used Drupal professionally, so couldn't comment on other CMS's suitability to your need.

However, I do know that Drupal satisfy *ALL* of you needs with the contributed modules. You wouldn't have to mess about with a single line of php.

Forum:

Drupal includes a forum and all the user management features you could need.

Flash Video Module:

This allows users to upload a video and converts it to a flash video. Screen shots of the uploaded videos are then displayed as thumbnails.

Web File Manager Module:

This is a lovely AJAX file management add on. Users have different upload privileges and can only see their own files and folders. You (as the site administrator) can view all the files.

I could knock together a Drupal install to meet your needs in about a day. There is a bit of a learning curve initially though, but well worth it.

The main problem with Drupal is the lack of themes as I try to address in my link.

paulhudson, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  6. cmstester

cmstester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would have to agree with paul above. Drupal is much better suited IMHO.

cmstester, Jun 23, 2008 IP