1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help in choosing a website CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by KTang, Jun 8, 2008.

Hello,

I'm currently using Joomla! 1.5 for my current site and I've been having non stop problems with the user database and the front end of the site and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on a different CMS that has a much for flexible system. I've also tried

- Durpal
    - ModX
    - Xoop

and none of them seem to suite my need. My site is mainly an archive of news and non-copyrighted legal to distribute and I haven't been able to find a CMS that correctly supports multiple languages. Thanks :)

KTang, Jun 8, 2008 IP
  2. deadbabes

deadbabes Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know much about Joomla 1.5 (I'm still using 1.0 without any problems) In my opinion, Joomla is the best, but if I had to choose another from your list, I'd take Drupal. I've used it in the past with minimal problems, but stopped due to it's lack of free themes. (I'm sure more themes have come along since I stopped using it!):cool:

deadbabes, Jun 8, 2008 IP
  3. Armaan143

Armaan143 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try to use wordpress or drupal..Joomla is good too

Armaan143, Jun 8, 2008 IP
  4. Kontent.solutions

Kontent.solutions Peon

Best Answers:
    If its a lightweight application, consider using Worpdress with a couple of plugins and if it is not, then I'd suggest Joomla, may be coz' I find it simple, nice and very flexible to use :) .. You may in turn hire someone who knows joomla well, to maintain the site for you ...

/G

Kontent.solutions, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  5. KTang

KTang Guest

Best Answers:
    I've been using Joomla for about a year 1/2 now and its usually fine but I've noticed problems as more articles are added.

PS: I also forgot to mention that you guys can also give suggestions to commercial CMS's also.

KTang, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  6. WPSorted

WPSorted Guest

Best Answers:
    well for a start I wouldn't use Vivvo (vivvo.net) again as it is just soooo useless when it comes to editing template files, it's left me speechless on many occasions for th ewrong reasons.

I used to use phpcow a lot (phpcow.com) but decided to drop it after a lack of support from the development team making promises that never materialised, and the admin was incredibly painful to use.

I now use wordpress (wordpress.org) for almost everything I develop, with occasional Joomla 1.0 use.

I would love to use something like the Vignette CMS (vignette.com) but the cost is extortionate.

My latest Wordpress design let's me make use of WP's ease of use (when posting etc..) aswell as having the appearance of a fully-fledged CMS - check it out www.soccerglobe.net, it's still in it's infancy but I have many features planned for it that adds to its functionality.

WPSorted, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  7. bragn

bragn Peon

Best Answers:
    Because of the stability, ease of use and weight, I would suggest sticking up with Wordpress as long as possible. The only drawback for you might be the fact that there's no native support of multiple languages, there are some plugins tho

bragn, Jun 10, 2008 IP
  8. gina.alessia

gina.alessia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    instead of Joomla i recommend Drupal

gina.alessia, Jun 10, 2008 IP
  9. e-fun

e-fun Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer Joomla. However, don't want to try Wordpress first?

e-fun, Jun 10, 2008 IP
  10. KTang

KTang Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your suggestions guys. I think I'll stick with joomla in the meantime. By the way does anyone know a good forum that will integrate with Joomla user database. I don't want something like fireboard that is built into joomla. I'm willing to try vbulletin but I'm looking for alternatives before I go and purchase it.

KTang, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  11. BANAGO

BANAGO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why not WordPress? :)

BANAGO, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  12. speedy425

speedy425 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say it depends on the project and the features involved. Joomla is certainly a very powerful tool. But, for example, it isn't too good for SEO, user management, SSL, internationalization, and things like that. However, it is great for commercial use, document management, themes, calendar integration, and so on. The best plus is Joomla's large online community!

speedy425, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  13. KTang

KTang Guest

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is great but the issue is that its more of a blog instead of a CMS. I know there are templates to skin it into a CMS like site but those skins cost way too much.

KTang, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  14. WPSorted

WPSorted Guest

Best Answers:
    Wordpress has all the required features that can be found on premium CMS systems, plus there are thousands of plugins (many are supported very well indeed) to choose from to help you achieve the complete CMS feel.

Then spend $50+ on a premium WP skin or get a custom skin made for you (see my sig ;))

So you end up with a finely-tuned SEO killing machine that functions just like a CMS and looks like a CMS/Portal/Newspaper.

So saying it costs 'way too much' to use WP as a CMS is a little drastic to be fair :)

WPSorted, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  15. The Ussef

The Ussef Peon

Best Answers:
    did you tried datalife engine?im using it and it have no problems with it...

The Ussef, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  16. KTang

KTang Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your suggestion guys. I might be switching to wordpress soon if I can find a reasonably priced wordpress cms theme. WPSorted how much do you guys charge for a theme w/ drop down menus. I have a budget around $50-100 USD currently.

KTang, Jun 12, 2008 IP
  17. WPSorted

WPSorted Guest

Best Answers:
    With your budget you can afford pretty much every premium WP theme available and many have drop-downs included :)

I would recommend releases from www.ithemes.com, www.briangardner.com and check out Adii's site at www.adii.co.za ;)

I sold www.wpsorted.com a couple of months back and I made a few basic CMS theme for it, www.wpsorted.com.

Or I can clone other websites using WP but this will blow away your budget I'm afrad.

WPSorted, Jun 13, 2008 IP