1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help quoting a website

Discussion in 'General Business' started by brandozz, Jun 17, 2013.

I've been asked to design a website for somebody and I'm struggling to quote it. I don't do much freelance work but I'm currently a graphic/web designer for a financial company.

In a nutshell here is what I need to do:
    1. Build a custom responsive template
    2. Update 25-30 pages on site, pages are static html, so I will have to update each page by hand
    3. Source a 4-5 new images, with some photoshoping
    4. Testing across multiple browsers, operating systems and devices.

What would you charge for this type of work? My time is currently worth about $33 an hour.

Thanks
    -Brandon

brandozz, Jun 17, 2013 IP
  2. .hawaii

.hawaii Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm that's a tough one. It depends on the web designer. You should calculate how many hours you think that will take, times it by 33 and that should give you a good guide.

.hawaii, Jun 17, 2013 IP
  3. brandozz

brandozz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks .hawaii,

Yeah the time is what I'm struggling with. Wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how long it should take?

-Brandon

brandozz, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  4. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should know the pace at which you work. We can't possibly give you a time frame without knowing if:

A. You are working alone
    B. If not alone, how many, what do they do etc
    C. You have any other work or other commitments

And also you should have already asked:

A. What kind of turnaround are you looking for
    B. Are you flexible with dates
    C. Are you willing to agree to a TOS (Terms of Service) or SLA (Service Level Agreement) <<Very important

The SLA is vital to make sure that everything they want is agreed beforehand and signed off. They then cannot ask you to do anything at all that is not listed in that SLA without your express permission (which also will include a fee). This backs you up so you then have a fixed list of tasks to implement and know for sure that this list won't keep getting larger as the project goes on.

So from this list, you can itemize what you need to do and how you will do it. Generally this will be fixed into the following core areas:

1. Original Agreement
    2. Research
    3. Design
    4. Programming
    5. Testing
    6. Implementation

Of course, everybody is different and have their own way of doing things but the above is a nice little example.

So I'm guessing you've already done 1 and 2 so items 3 through to 6. Well depending on the agreement with the client i.e. did you say unlimited designs until happy or 3 drafts? If it's unlimited designs I can pretty much guarantee you'll never do that again! 3 drafts is a good figure to work with whilst working alone as they can pick one to work with. You will then make revisions on the draft until the client is happy. The revisions would generally be small items that need changing around otherwise it'd be a complete redesign (but you limited that to 3 so they can't!).

So how long does it take you to design a website? Once designed, how long do you think it would take to make minor revisions?

The programming IMO is a little easier, they gave you a list of the exact features they want and signed it in the SLA so if you provide those features there's no reason for them to want any changes. How long does it take you to program? What kind of pace do you work at? How many items need to go in there, only you know this!

Testing would generally take a day or 2 for a small client website. I'd give it a thorough test though as nobody likes a buggy website and this business is always built on reputation.

Implementation would usually take a max of a few hours as it should be a simple case of transferring it from your test area (WAMP or whatever other environment you use) to their server.

I hope this helps you a little.

Good luck!

scottlpool2003, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  5. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    The work you are going to do is easy, it is not too difficult as you don't have to optimize any keyword, you just need a website, so quote carefully..

SERPpoint, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  6. brandozz

brandozz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments everybody.

-Brandon

brandozz, Jun 22, 2013 IP