1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'General Business' started by MFC, Jun 2, 2010.

Hi guys,

Recently I posted on a website for a website project. I got talking to a programmer and they assured me they could do my project and that they would be able to complete the project in 20 days (3rd of June).

He sent me an invoice and I sent him 50% of the payment. He had told me he had started the website. Every time I have asked him for an update, I have got excuse after excuse. He has shown me the admin panel of the website which doesn't even link up to my website at the minute.

I have MSN conversations with him promising me that he will send me back my money if the website is not completed by Thursday. I also have in an email that he promises he will send me back my money if the website is not completed by the deadline. Is this enough to get my money back?

I'm getting really worried as I sent him quite a bit of money. What else can I do now?

MFC, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  2. Adraco

Adraco Active Member

Best Answers:
    How did you send him the money and when did this deal take place? If it happened via Paypal or if you paid via another service via a credit card, read up a bit on charge backs and try to file for a cb with either Paypal or your credit card company.

Adraco, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  3. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    sounds like you hired somebody offshore. if you have used paypal you could try to get the money back, if the developer still have money in the account. otherwise you are in bad luck.

you know thats why many prefer hiring local people.

webcosmo, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  4. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You sent by paypal?
    If yes then you are bad luck here as paypal doesn't cover virtual item.

mentos, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  5. steelhead

steelhead Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably should have had a written contract if the fees exceed $500. My personal experience and preference is to make multiple progress payments, even if I have a contract and the coder has excellent references.

Multiple check points and agreed upon progress completion dates as well as remedy for non delivery are essential.

I always pay with a credit card if I can and use escrow.com Chargebacks are pretty easy to accomplish when you use a credit card. I hate doing it because of lost time. But at least I will have some assurance that if I don't get my product when promised, the most I lose is time.

Elance.com and getafreelancer.com are two of my favorites for outsourcing because of bulit-in feed back features and reputation monitors.

steelhead, Jun 3, 2010 IP