1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need to upload 76,000 products to a site???

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by nicsonian, Mar 25, 2010.

Hi

I have a site which offers comparison and purchase of many different types of product. I have been supplied with several spread sheets each containing thousands (76,000 in total) of products. The spreadsheets are for a different purpose, but my idea is to spend some time turning the spread sheets into a bunch of datafeeds and simply upload the products in bulk.

Having only ever run and administered blogs and some very basic product sales sites before, the size of this task is a little overwhelming. The software I am using allows for the datafeed to contain information as follows:

Product Name | Main Catagory | Sub Catagory | Page Title | Page Description | Keywords | general description | Price

and a few other parameters.

Although I have the general description, price and obviously the product name the other fields are going to have to be populated manually. However, I don't want too much repetition i.e. thousands of duplicate page descriptions and keywords as I don't want to google or any other search engine to mark me down on this. Or do you think the fact that there will ultimately be more than 76,000 pages to the site will make up for the repetition?

Has anyone got any suggestions or experience of this sort of bulk creation and could you give me any advice?

Got a couple of weeks till I start, but want to be prepared!! Cheers

nicsonian, Mar 25, 2010 IP