1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Logo - any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by zander1226, May 26, 2007.

Hi everyone! I got into graphic design a few years ago doing general layout for some local print shops...I am proficient in Indesign & QuarkExpress but have some weakness with Photoshop and other graphic programs. I farted around in Fireworks a bit and came up with the attached...was wondering what everyone thought.... too busy? good use of color...what about the fonts? Any suggestions would be awsome. Thanks all! :)

Attached Files:

zander1226, May 26, 2007 IP
  2. zander1226

zander1226 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oops...sorry about the small size...new to posting on here...the tag line under "reflections" says "From Concept to Creation"...thanks...look forward to hearing your thoughts!

3. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    The logo looks really outdated because of the effects...

Try incorporating the "reflection" idea into.. a reflection of the font? Rather than having a huge green photograph of a reflection behind your "C"

Sometimes simple is best.

8everything, May 26, 2007 IP
  4. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    keep it simple. try getting rid of the green and beefing up the "creative". and as far as the "from concept to creation" trying using a sans serif font they're a lot more readable especially in small text environments. just a couple suggestions.

ansi, May 26, 2007 IP
  5. Solid_Nuts

Solid_Nuts Active Member

Best Answers:
    yea like 8everything said looks kinda outdated something common in 1998 :D

Solid_Nuts, May 26, 2007 IP
  6. zander1226

zander1226 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow you guys are quick...thanks for the great feedback...I'll watch for more...(since I did just post it)...like I said I am a lil "graphically challenged" with Photoshop and the likes so just experimenting! I'll play around with it some more.

7. BLT

BLT Peon

Best Answers:
    i think that the most important thing in logos is that the client can remember it as soon as the see it ... and that's really hard to keep in mind.

Try to use a shape, something simple, that's like a logo of the 90's :p.
    keep it up.

BLT, May 26, 2007 IP
  8. zander1226

zander1226 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks BLT! I have enjoyed starting out in Photoshop and love the different actions and plugins...I'm used to just working in layout programs like InDesign so altering graphics is a bit new for me. I think I may do a reflection on the word reflection and go with a more sleek web 2.0 look. You guys are all really great with your suggestions and feedback and I can't wait to post the new one to see what you all think!

9. abonyad

abonyad Peon

Best Answers:
    Its over designed.

abonyad, May 28, 2007 IP
  10. theMediamage

theMediamage Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, it does need to clean and simple.

The most highly rated logo is the FedEx one, and that's a very simple logo with a basic optical illusion in it.

theMediamage, May 28, 2007 IP
  11. mac_crazy

mac_crazy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if you're ever planning to use the logo in a print environment, but just about all logos will be printed at one time or another (business cards, letterhead, invoices, etc.) So Photoshop is not your best bet for designing logos. I just got a new client today, they want me to design some print materials for them, but the guy who designed their logo ONLY did a 72dpi version in PS! It won't print well, it'll be fuzzy, so they are already off on the wrong foot when trying to entice new clients.

The most efficient way to go about it is design it in a vector-based program such as Illustrator. Once you've done that, you can always open it in PS, and save it down as a .gif or .jpg to use on a website.

Also keep in mind that when printing commercially, a full-color logo like that can increase the cost of the biz cards, letterhead, envelope, etc. Working with a 1-, 2-, or even 3-color logo, using PMS spot colors is a more cost-efficient way to go.

Another good reason NOT to create logos in raster-based programs like Photoshop is that inevitably, a client will want a large format output (banners for tradeshows, a sign for their building, etc)... so your 4 inch by 4 inch logo that looks great on their website is gonna look like a big fuzzy mess when enlarged to 8 feet by 8 feet! Vector images can be enlarged (or reduced, of course) to unlimited sizes, with no quality loss.

And as far as the design itself... what they said. :)

mac_crazy, May 29, 2007 IP
  12. redcell1

redcell1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah mate it looks a bit out of date try to do a web 2.0 look

redcell1, May 29, 2007 IP
  13. pmalone224

pmalone224 Peon

Best Answers:
    try making the edges more crisp (use shapes instead of gradients) it tends to give it a more polished look. I love what eou have going with that star thing in the bg though, very nice.

pmalone224, May 29, 2007 IP
  14. Jonathan Hue

Jonathan Hue Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi

The approach is good and over look gives a compelling impression. But, i would suggest using 2 variations of fonts not multiple. Also the text "From Concept to Creation" looks extremely DULL! make it prominent.

Check out these illustrative logo design samples. These should definately generate ideas you may be looking for.

Thank you

Jonathan Hue, May 30, 2007 IP
  15. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The above mentioned tips are really good. You should follow them for your next design. Make the logo as simple as possible. Dont add faded colors to the design, like you've done with the green color. Also, when making a logo, keep in mind if the logo will be decipherable if you reduce it to a really small size, like maybe on a ring or something.

rosiee007, May 30, 2007 IP
  16. PB4UGO2BED

PB4UGO2BED Banned

Best Answers:
    WEB2.0 look would fit better. It´s too busy, colours aren´t the best, font is wrong chosen and also the quality of the image isn´t the best.

Just step more into WEB2.0 direction and result(s) should look better! ;)

PB4UGO2BED, May 30, 2007 IP
  17. new new

new new Peon

Best Answers:
    I Thinks is all right you need to change the green color.

Dont worry you getting there

new new, May 30, 2007 IP
  18. zander1226

zander1226 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hiya guys...you all are awsome...lots of great ideas! I just had some back surgery so I haven't started the redesign yet but I can't wait to put your ideas to work...a few responses...it's actually for me - trying to pull a small site together for my clients to few my portfolio...so this will never be printed. Actually I used Fireworks for this...just farting around seeing what I thought about it in comparison to Photoshop. I actually work for a local print house in Syracuse, NY and have been creating and selling design for printing for about 10 years now...but thanks for all the tips! This won't ever get printed so now worries. Can't wait to post the new one...Hoping you all can help me get it perfect! Look for redesign soon...

zander1226, May 31, 2007 IP
  19. Tiggi

Tiggi Active Member

Best Answers:
    No matter what most of the guys here think, I don't see your logo to be old-fashioned or stuff. It seems just like a nice logo design, though I personally would change the green color with something not so shiny like maybe blue? As for the fonts, why don't you try something simpler?

--Tiggs

Tiggi, May 31, 2007 IP
  20. sk999999

sk999999 Banned

Best Answers:
    nice but need to work some more on this

sk999999, May 31, 2007 IP