1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Social Network Script

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by 3mice, Jun 6, 2007.

Hi
    Anyone had a chance to work with this social network script http://www.socialengine.net

There seem to be different from the other myspace clones script. This is what they say on the sales page

"Other social network apps overwhelm your users with superfluous features. History shows that the simpler, user-friendlier social networks are more likely to succeed. SocialEngine allows you to buy features "à la carte." This means that if your unique idea includes specific features like blogs or photo albums, you can build them yourself or buy them from us for a small fee."

most of the discussions here centre around DZOIC, PHPFOX,

3mice, Jun 6, 2007 IP
  2. bwan76

bwan76 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah i am using social engine for weeks now. I have phpfox too. The difference is that it is easy for the admin to create profile fields and the script automatically layout it just like facebook. It also has a subnetwork capability meaning, if want 2 subnetworks for both gender, you can do so. Its more on the K.I.S.S. approach to social networking.

The best feature is the photo uploads. Man, it can beat any social networking clone script photo hosting capabilities any day any time...

I am selling my extra license if you want 50 less for the main script and 10 less for the plugins. No problem with it except that my niche site wasn't successful and i cant pay for the 30 dollars plus monthly vps. I have to let go of the hosting --- what would a good horse do without a stable? = )

price -
    200 (250 original price) main
    40 (50 each) - for each plug in
    -------------------------
    280 for

bwan76, Aug 2, 2007 IP
  3. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i did not try it yet.

i have only tried pligg before.

i will try now:D

trichnosis, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  4. codeassist

codeassist Peon

Best Answers:
    SocialEngine is an awesome script. The latest updates fixed some issues too. Nice product.

codeassist, Aug 8, 2007 IP
  5. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I think that the idea to simplify the interface is a good one, but there are limits to simplification. A script has to scale as more members climb on board (thousands or hundreds of thousands of users). The fundamental objective of any SNS has to provide the mechanisms for hooking up like-minded people. This script, like most others like it, does not address this problem, and therefore fails in real-life. If you look at any successful site, you will see that this question is answered.

However, for a small, closed environment, where everyone already knows each other (like a photography club) this script is adequate (at least functionally adequate).

A more interesting script that I am looking at now is iScripts. I can actually see users actually finding useful groups and like-minded friends via this script. It is the first one that I have come across that seems to be well thought out. Again, I have no idea how well it is coded, and how well it scales. However, I will find out before I invest time and money into it.

Rich

richrf, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  6. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    To me, iScripts makes more sense. I think that from a user interface and functionality perspective, it can actually attract people to search for new friends and join in groups and discussions. I don't know anything about its stability, maintainability, or security, so I will have to do a lot more due diligence before I purchase and customize it to suit my needs. But so far, it is the only one I have found that is worthwhile for me to consider. Designing a good script is more than just pulling together some functions. A good platform has to achieve some objective. In this case to attract and retain visitors in a social environment.

Rich

richrf, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  7. mgrohan

mgrohan Active Member

Best Answers:
    iScripts seems to take a while to load, looks butt ugly and is not tableless/css - looking at the code and all those tables, i imagine making a custom design for the script would be a real headache.

From my first look boonex - dolphin seems good. Although (like many other social scripts) have read many unfavorable reviews. Also mods are mostly paid for.

Maybe i will give social network a try.

mgrohan, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  8. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    my sentiments exactly on both points...way too cluttered. Still kind of interesting, though.

Pixelrage, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  9. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I hear what you are saying. I am approaching it from a different viewpoint.

I would rather have stability and usability, but it should look reasonably attractive, by achieving some level of simplicity in the design of the user interface processes. Unfortunately, none of the scripts achieve this. I think because the designers are not designing with a user acquisition and retention objective in mind. Of the scripts I have looked at, iScript seems to have some sense of this, though I would require lots of customization if I went ahead and used it as a base system. I would have to look at any performance issues before I invested in the product.

Whether or not it uses tables is less important to me as is functionality, user interface, stability, security, and performance - and does it achieve its objectives. I think too much emphasis nowadays is put on CSS, which is quite a mess in itself because of the non-standardization across browser platforms.

Thanks for the feedback. It helps to get others perspectives.

Rich

richrf, Aug 10, 2007 IP