1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Web Forum - Which category is the best ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by MoneyPlanters, Jan 14, 2015.

Hello friends,
    I am looking forward to launching a new discussion forum on any one of the following areas :
    • health
    • shopping
    • hobbies/ recreation
    • personal relationships
    I am looking for the right mix of demand and supply, i.e. the one with the highest demand and the least supply.

Any clues how to go about this ?

Thank you so much.

MoneyPlanters, Jan 14, 2015 IP
  2. Imgup

Imgup Member

Best Answers:
    It's probably best to go with a subject you're knowledgeable and passionate about. That way, you can help provide relevant, well-written content.

Imgup, Jan 14, 2015 IP
  3. MoneyPlanters

MoneyPlanters Active Member

Best Answers:
    The webmaster would rarely write content on a forum. a good example is this very discussion.

4. Imgup

Imgup Member

Best Answers:
    That's because this site is gigantic, but, the owner here does comment on things all the time and contributes often. You clearly want to make a forum that's going to see you the best returns, but, how can you do that without content? You're not going to open a website and get millions of visitors a day. It doesn't work like that.

Imgup, Jan 14, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Obviously health, shopping, personal relationships are in the highest demand, but they are all filled to the brim. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 5K+ forums for each of those categories.

Hobbies / recreation can be your best bet. There are hundreds of hobbies out there. You can try to encompass some of them into one forum, maybe?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    qwikad.com, Jan 14, 2015 IP
  6. MoneyPlanters

MoneyPlanters Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats very insightful. Thank you so much.

Any ideas on how I compare supply and demand (for web forums on a particular topic) ?

7. mikebvm

mikebvm Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that if you went with "hobbies / recreation" you'd have better luck nailing down a specific hobby or recreational activity. For example, "recreation" is very vague, but a site about camping or motorboating might attract a more specific and loyal audience.

mikebvm, Jan 14, 2015 IP
  8. valexer06

valexer06 Member

Best Answers:
    I think health and fitness as well as sports discussion boards could be good. However you have to make sure that you will have a jumpstart. Hiring maybe a couple of knowledgeable posters to start discussions and fill up forum categories for the first few months is necessary.

valexer06, Jan 15, 2015 IP
  9. Samker

Samker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, it'll be the best to mix "health" & "hobbies/recreation"... target "old" people with some kind of disease.

Samker, Jan 18, 2015 IP
  10. Googl

Googl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you're prepared to write a lot of content [Unique] and have access to huge amounts of cash, friends be prepared for a big fail! Forums are incredibely difficult to make active, rank high and take years! Spammers are a nightmare! ...ugh! It is a war out there! At least one person who has replied to this thread has started a forum at one point that failed.

It always starts off as a beatiful fantasy and a very exciting fairy tale until the dream world fades. This is not a very good attitude.

Googl, Jan 18, 2015 IP