1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Novell drops Linux Bomb on M$

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Nov 8, 2004.

Novell has come out with the long awaited Linux desktop OS, this will be a major threat to Microsoft's patch of a patch flawed and defective OS.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5442216.html?tag=zdnn.alert

I will be certain to put one of these boxes on my desk, anyone else going to try this OS? :cool:

anthonycea, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Decided against the Mac Then Anthony?

SEbasic, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    No, decided against Windows.

I will run Linux and MAC, but never will buy another windows box.

My time with Uncle Bill is over ;)

anthonycea, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  4. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Novell nearly went bust 2 years ago as they plumetted off the nasdaq.
    They will sanction anything at the moment to save face.....send them an idea and you should get a reply
    GEM

Solicitors Mortgages, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  5. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    That Linux desktop OS is for (large) corp.'s for home users SuSE 9.2 Pro is now available.
    In other news
    and it's not over
    From: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2004-11-08-msft-novell_x.htm

mushroom, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  6. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    That looks awesome. Like Mac and PC had a baby. And it's like $35! WOW

TwisterMc, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What nonsense. Microsoft didn't have to do anything at all to deep six WordPerfect -- Novell did that all by themselves.

They stubbornly insisted long after it made any rational sense at all to keep requiring their own buggy WP drivers instead of the Windows drivers, and the interface itself became more and more antiquated and cumbersome. Then, in an attempt to salvage some of their plummeting sales, they started incentive programs for schools and governments which almost gave WordPerfect away -- even this didn't work because a cheap piece of crap or even a free piece of crap is still a piece of crap.

Their refusal to update the software killed them -- they already had a stranglehold on most public service departments federally and provincially in Canada in the 80s but they eventually lost that because the Microsoft version was superior and that gap was widening, not narrowing.

Later, Corel, an Ottawa-based company, bought WordPerfect and tried to revive it by pressuring governments to buy a "Canadian" product, bundling it with popular Corel graphics software, and pretty much giving it away as OEM software for computers sold in Canada. None of it worked because it was still an outdated slug of a product. I had it come "free" with two computers but still installed Word.

All this reminds me of the old Canadian electronics industry before free trade -- they kept lobbying the government (often successfully) to put increasingly higher duties on products from the US and Japan, especially TVs and stereo equipment, trying to get Canadians to buy their crap. It didn't work because we were entirely willing to pay higher prices for something that worked than to spend less for crap.

Build a better product and people will buy it. Build an inferior product and refuse to bring it into line with your competitor's products and you will go down the tubes. Welcome to reality, Novell.

minstrel, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  8. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    WordPerfect was a great product in DOS days. I know all the keyboard shortcuts, when they went to Windows, they changed them, I've no idea why, so it was essentially a new product, and there was no reason to stay with it, since I had Word, which could read the old WP dos documents and convert them.

I also used to use Novell for small office networking for clients, they managed to make themselves redundant.

[Remember the Ontario government designed computer, that was going to be used in all the schools instead of IBM or Apple. Duh.]

macdesign, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's true... WordPerfect for DOS up to about version 5 was pretty good. Then everybody and his brother was switching to Windows 3.1 and they just stood still.

As for the Ontario government computer, no I can't say I remember that one... but then Canadian politicians have had so many stupid ideas over the years it's hard to keep up with them all... :eek:

minstrel, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  10. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Their own operating system their own design, and incompatable with anything on the market, so all software would have to be developed from scratch. At the same time, one western US state, had developed a mass of school education software, which ran on an Atari 800, which was a nice afforable box.

But it makes sense, in terms of general goverment initiatives, I got paid tens of thousands of dollars to do makework software development for an obsolete mini-computer, that some incompetant manager had purchased, in order to show that something usefull was being done with it, the same software could have been developed for a PC, for a couple of thousand.

I

macdesign, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  11. sapphiro15

sapphiro15 Peon

Best Answers:
    Think it'll run on a Pentium III 400mhz?! >.< I have decent ram, its just the processor!

sapphiro15, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  12. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    T0PS3O, Nov 18, 2004 IP
  13. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    I would personally prefer to face unsubstantiated threats of patent claims than the known threat of over 100,000 viruses etc.

mushroom, Nov 18, 2004 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That remains to be seen, of course -- obviously, the Unix boys think they have a case.

What has that to do with the topic at hand?

minstrel, Nov 18, 2004 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Ask Shawn, most of those patents are unenforceable, SCO has filed suit against everyone under the Sun.

Linux is not going anywhere, the cat is out of the bag, if anything they are simply fighting for royalties if they win, just like Google is paying Yahoo on the Adwords interface (Overture Patent).

TOPS, I can tell you that Steve Ballmer is grasping at the Microsoft propaganda straws, that is all he has left is hype that no one even believes any longer.

We all know that Microsoft is going to fall below 50% in the OS war soon.

Ballmer and Gates know this or they would not be sending the propaganda team out in force like they are.

They can always pull the $100.00 PC out of the bag, they will need one since everyone will be using Network Computing soon, storing their files on servers and doing mobile computing via broadband wireless connections.

anthonycea, Nov 18, 2004 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Meaning you and mushroom?

17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    No Minstrel, we all includes Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer also. :)

anthonycea, Nov 18, 2004 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I was just reading an article this morning about how Bill Gates has an entire Microsoft department whose job is to clean out the spam from his inbox...

Was that you, AC?

19. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I read that too. 4 million a day or something. And only 10 of those make it through to his inbox. I wish my junk filter was that powerful!

T0PS3O, Nov 19, 2004 IP
  20. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    Most of it apparently is stuff about getting rich quick.

darksat, Nov 19, 2004 IP