1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Npr

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by david_sakh, Feb 4, 2005.

I want to listen to NPR on the internet...since it IS accessible ntnwide...can I do this, r do i have to get an old fashioned radio...

david_sakh, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  2. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    What's NPR?

Lever, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  3. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    National Public Radio

ResaleBroker, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  4. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
  5. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Ah, OK, thanks ResaleBroker :)

They were talking Superbowl a minute ago... but not now...

Lever, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  6. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    NPR is such a funny station, its bias is so extreme. It would be like the head NEA telling the stories...

to each his own..

debunked, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  7. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Why- Because they're not White House stenographers?

The only media channel that isn't biased in some way is C-Span.

Crazy_Rob, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  8. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks rob. i don't listen to it for 'actionable' news. There are a few programs in the afternoon with international stories that really have no political leanings but are always interesting. I'm facinated at what I don't know, and the radio gives you what you need without the bullshit. The 30 minute evening news could be compressed to 1min18 seconds, have the same effect, and still be uninteresting.

and i really don't think NPR is that biased, most things are offered at face value, but face value often detracts from what many would want you to think. I like taking life at face value, but there's a lower limit at which you have to look at things without going crazy or neglecting your responsibilities for some elusive principle on the tip of your mind that you never quite understand...

But I really don't care about politics any more. I'll pledge alleigeince to the Chinese or the Mexicans or the Vaticans. I'll salute Dubya if I have to. I really have come to the point where, as long as I can freely piddle around with the nonsense that interests me, I really don't care. I just don't want to die an ugly and wicked man. What else can you strive for?

and it's not like one man's opinion means anything - it's often only as strong as the money behind it. I'd listen to Fascist Radio if it was entertaining or thought-provoking, because that's really all that I'm out for.

9. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    I did a google search and I think I found what you were talking about...

http://www.mediaresearch.org/BozellColumns/newscolumn/2003/col20031021.asp

I guess people call me a liberal for a reason, according to this guy, npr is a 'lib magnet'.

I really don't know why there are such broadly-defined labels. I've written classes with more instance variables than ideological stickers slapped on to the modern American.

Isn't it enough to say, I am a man, and this is what I believe?

I'm really tired of being categorized. I'm starting to label myself sometimes, society has almost made me feel that I fit a certain mold.

10. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Couldn't agree more.

People seem to be speaking in sound bites these days. They just regurgitate bits and pieces of stuff they see on TV. It's pretty sad when you think about it.

I like npr for the 'world view' program as well. I'm pretty sure you're not going to see ANY international stories on the cable news stations.

Most of what is on TV is total garbage anyway. A bunch of hate-filled people with their selfish political agendas trying to influence weak-minded people. NO THANKS! I don't even bother to turn it on anymore. What's the point? It's not like you're learning something.

When I first got married (a few years ago) my wife and I didn't even plug in our TV for three months. It was great! Even now I only watch SportsCenter and fishing shows.

Crazy_Rob, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  11. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to admit, I lived without TV for about three weeks recently (moving problems, we moved twice, so we didn't get cable), and I far more missed my internet than my TV. OK, so I missed the internet because it was very hard to keep up on my sites with only borrowed connections available.

Local news is almost entirely fluff, cable news is a bit better, but if I have either on, it's more or less just background noise. I get much more interesting news online, and I can find more information on stories that interest me.

stephfoster, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  12. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why is media biased?

Have you all seen theyrule.com?

[​IMG]

HALIBURTON is of course the company that holds the US Government contracts in Iraq.

To get this go to http://www.theyrule.net/2004/tr2.php

click through to where you find a short menu in upper left of screen>

on menu select> Load Map> then select Popular> then look for "Haliburton and the Media" on the list.

It is an interesting site to play with...

mcdar, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  13. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    wow... :eek:

david_sakh, Feb 5, 2005 IP