1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Objective Social Networking Software Reviews

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by EJRaven, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kartik786

kartik786 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Me too...

Hope they release it soon :D

kartik786, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  2. xdk67

xdk67 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am also looking for it. Hope they release it soon

xdk67, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  3. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that the main developer behind the project had a heart attack and obviously that's delayed things. I can understand why they're getting a bit fed up with people posting on the forums asking why it isn't out yet.
    I don't think it'll be too long though, hopefully a 2-4 weeks.

MattUK, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  4. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Thanks for the update!

NikkiBlue, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  5. zaddy

zaddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    phpfox is the worst script ever made. I use it on my website and now i don't even bother upgrading it, whats the point? Bugs are rolled over to newer versions, nothing is squashed.... i still don't know why they charge $300 for the worst php script to hit the market

zaddy, Oct 12, 2006 IP
  6. BodyofChristOnline

BodyofChristOnline Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all you have talked about the social networking scripts - I was thinking about buying PHPFoX but now I'm thinking it over.

I have a custom programming code for my current social networking site, but I'm thinking of going to one of the open source scripts for ease of adding new features.

Could someone recommend the best script for each of the following:
    1) Multi-language capabilities
    2) Scalability to have 100,000+ users
    3) Easiest to add features
    4) Has a template design that looks like Facebook or Orkut (instead of the Myspace look that ALL of them seem to have).

We plan on customizing the scripts a lot expecially with the design. We just wanted one close to what we wanted to begin with.

BodyofChristOnline, Oct 14, 2006 IP
  7. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    It would be nice to also see reviews about free open source or GPL scripts that are available.

reapr, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  8. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok, Ok people can we get back to the social networking scripts!!!
    What do you all think about AroundMe???

Emperor, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  9. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not familiar with that one, have you used it?

MattUK, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  10. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there a comparison of this with other scripts?

reapr, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  11. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Here is a link to there site. I really can’t figure out what their all about. The script looks really good but I haven’t been able to install it.

Emperor, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  12. kartik786

Best Answers:
    Yep.. I have seen the demo but alicia looks hell lot better.

kartik786, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  13. erosgost

erosgost Guest

Best Answers:
    I just purchased E-Friends, of course that was before I found this forum. :(

They haven't sent the product yet, which is kind of ticking me off ... and you want to know what's worse? I'm not a programmer ... just a writer who wanted to create a cool community site for people who enjoyed the same interests.

I'm am SO screwed ... sigh.

erosgost, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  14. kartik786

Best Answers:
    If you paid by paypal, stop the payment or post the whole procedure in the legal discussion forum of DP and some1 might help you out.

kartik786, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  15. erosgost

erosgost Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback Kartik! I paid with 2CO, sadly. Also, they haven't really done anything wrong ... yet. :) Just reading the reviews made me squeamish about the choice I made. Classic user mistake ... not doing enough research. I didn't even realize there were more choices out there than what I saw ... few searches turned up anything until I found these reviews.

Anyway, I'm talking to Vistal about renting Buddy Zone (seems pretty good despite the hot and cold reviews) which is probably the best bet for a non-programmer such as myself.

If they don't send the software within 24 hours I will certainly dispute the charge from AlstraSoft, however.

erosgost, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  16. Cuda

Cuda Peon

Best Answers:
    Boonex does charge to remove the banners($20) and text links ($20) add the two thats $40! (thats 40 $1 bills! NOT $349 or $399) If you do the math and review the software for a longer period, for the price I would say its 100% worth it. It could use encrypted passwords but any coder can do that....I have been using this script for months with performance tests because I plan to use it on a live site. I would say it is a damn good script.

The templating system is good (pure CSS) if you know what you are doing you can get your own templates on it...I did, Boonex does charge for other little addons but please do realize they have to get paid too!

The navigation system as you pointed out to be bad actually is not and also is fully customizable if you know what you are doing. NO software will work exactly as you want it out of the box my dear, I'll let my users get used to my website's navigation than spend hours with indian customer support reps...lol!

Currently I have it running on a testing server you can view it at http://www.afroyard.net.tc (redirection service). This version only has 4 registered users feel free to register and test as I wil be removing it in a few weeks.

I have never requested or needed help from the boonex team after installation, I have only been to their website to check the licensing fees for the purpose of this.

After that I am sure you will have more to say about it than a misleading statement such as "the stupid dolphin". For other people that want a networking script out there boonex one is good and even better if u can spend $40 to remove all the links. You need to realize how many people actually read this forum and start posting good reviews, not just wat tickles your fancy preferences!!

LOL and im not affiliated with Boonex :D !!! I am a programmer yes, and the product is good both in code and in performance...... :confused: just cant find where the banner code is!!!!

Cuda, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  17. CodeMonster

CodeMonster Peon

Best Answers:
    erosgost,

Before you purchase and or lease the Buddy Zone script form Vastal make sure to get access to the admin section as this is not accessible from the demo. At least not when I was making my purchasing decision. You will be very disappointed in what it has to offer over other Social Networking scripts that are available. Features with in the admin are very limited. Also go to the support forums for the Buddy Zone script, thats if its up and running. He seems to have a problem keeping the forum and or demo sight up 100% of the time. You will see that the support forum is more or less dead other than Mr. Ankur Jain trying to solve issues with his buggy script. At this time no one that has purchased the Buddy Zone script has created addon's or improvements for this script. Your going to want to own a script that is well supported from other owners that will help you and provide marketing ideas. Take a look at phpFoX and there demo. Also look at the support forum they have. It is very active. And I beleive phpFoX has a lease program as well. And from reading on the phpFoX forums there software even comes with an install script. The Buddy Zone software does not have any install script. You must manual install it. Even Joomla, which is free, comes with an install script. There are other social networking scripts available other than the ones listed here. By the way I am not an employee of phpFoX.

I was in the same position you are in before purchasing the Buddy Zone script. Which I greatly regret. I only wish I had done more homework before purchasing the Buddy Zone script or had talked with others who had purchased the script. Now I'm out $399.99 and many hours of spent debugging this inferior script.

P.S.

Mr. Ankur Jain of Vastal, INC. , anytime you would like to REFUND my money back would be great. As I am almost finished with creating my blog that is dedicated to your Buddy Zone script and its short commings. Don't worry I will send you a link. I have per your request consult with an attorney concerning this matter. And from there recommendation look forward to any future legal battles.

Best Regards,
    CodeMonster

CodeMonster, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  18. erosgost

erosgost Guest

Best Answers:

CodeMonster,

Thanks for the heads up and I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with your purchase of BuddyZone. I've done some exhaustive searching over the past 24 hours and from what I've seen, BZ is the only really affordable option for a guy in my position. All other software (phpFox included) requires installation on servers and possible code manipulation, of which I know little to nothing, and since I'm not rich (... yet LOL!) I can't really hire or maintain anyone who could keep things running.

I figure if the product is hosted on the BZ's own server and a bug or issue has manifested, then it's in the programmer's best interest to address the issue as soon as possible, as I have not purchased the software and provide income on a monthly basis. I'll know fairly quickly if this is not going to be the case and then I'm out less than $100 as compared to $400.

I am talking with larger companies, but as I'm on a tight budget, I don't believe I'll make much headway there ... so I'll have to suck it up and see.

Again, thanks for the advice and I hope you and BZ can get your situation resolved without further aggravation.

erosgost, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  19. Quizboy

Quizboy Guest

Best Answers:
    There's a YouTube clone script floating around, which I bought on eBay for $2.95

Anyway have any experiences with that, or know how to fix the upload bug I've just come across? Also I'd like to edit the .swf that outputs the video but i can't seem to find any original flash files which I can work on. Anyone know what I need to do to jazz the flash player part of it up a bit (that's assuming I can get the video file upload to work in the first place.)

Quizboy, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  20. Quizboy

Quizboy Guest

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know of any social networking software that's written in ASP.NET 2.0?

Quizboy, Oct 18, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.