1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ok so ebay business...can you really make money with this?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Michael Baptiste, Jul 7, 2012.

I have been hearing about so many people ranting and raving about how much money they made on ebay.
    Is this place legitimate? Or am I just getting my legged pulled by all of these people??

Michael Baptiste, Jul 7, 2012 IP
  2. bulldogjjb4

bulldogjjb4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can if you find a good supplier and a good product - i know people who have made quite a bit selling android devices from china.

bulldogjjb4, Jul 8, 2012 IP
  3. winson

winson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bulldogjjb4, how they make money by selling android devices from China?

winson, Jul 14, 2012 IP
  4. Traditione

Traditione Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ebay was great when it was difficult to find your own products and have your own site.

Now, ebay's becoming more of a liability and asset...That is, unless you're a buyer, then ebay is pretty darn nice.

Traditione, Jul 14, 2012 IP
  5. Getrichinfo

Getrichinfo Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Dropshipping

Getrichinfo, Jul 14, 2012 IP
  6. dom19

dom19 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Between fees- and everything else- I don't think they make any money. I think they use it more for advertising and getting a customer base then anything else.

dom19, Jul 14, 2012 IP
  7. Apri1

Apri1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd suggest to read reviews for ebay on alexa. In general buyers like it, sellers hate it :)

Apri1, Jul 15, 2012 IP
  8. CaliStyle

CaliStyle Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do love buying their, not so much selling. I have since moved to craigslist for all of my selling needs.

CaliStyle, Jul 15, 2012 IP
  9. softlayer

softlayer Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not as easy as it sounds i would suggest do some research before trying to get rich off of ebay some people just get stuff and really low prices so they are able to sell it for a high return.

Also some people buy stuff directly from china and resell it under there ebay account local usa/canada

softlayer, Jul 15, 2012 IP
  10. TheDuke2011

TheDuke2011 Member

Best Answers:
    There is plenty of money to be made on ebay under a few circumstances. You need to find a product with a low saturation, terapeak is a perfect software for figuring out what is saturated and what is not. Also you need to find or work out a deal with a supplier for a certain product because of fees. You have a insertion fee along with paypal fees and shipping fees. Put all this together and it is quite a good chunk out of your profit. So, you will need to find a product you can get at least 20% off at least and possible do it in bulk to make it worth it.

TheDuke2011, Jul 22, 2012 IP
  11. Netalarm

Netalarm Guest

Best Answers:
    Selling on eBay has become increasingly risky though, as eBay's policies protect buyers while at the same time neglect sellers. A buyer can file a claim that they received a damaged or incorrect product, and eBay will refund them their money and force the seller to pay. eBay seems to believe that the seller is always at fault if the buyer isn't happy, which certainly isn't the case. Then there's also the negative feedback sellers get from buyers - even if it was unreasonable feedback from the buyer, eBay will refuse to remove it, thus damaging the seller's reputation forever.

eBay used to be a good place, but now that their focus has switched to buyers, the liability and risks sellers are exposed to just isn't worth it.

Netalarm, Jul 22, 2012 IP
  12. The5Hole

The5Hole Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course you can. Tons of people/ businesses are making money and making livings. But as others said, don't make it your main source of income right out of the shoot... you could get burnt easily if your selling products you make little money/ profit from and there is a complaint about it. Do your research on it, and figure out what you want to do/ have a business plan before doing so.

The5Hole, Jul 22, 2012 IP
  13. HenryZayasOBU

HenryZayasOBU Peon

Best Answers:
    Michael go to Aliexpress and search for some High Tech Products or something awesome that you dont see in the USA. Then Open a store on eBay which is like $15 a month. Go to eBay and search for the product that you are looking to sell and see if you can some how beat or have a competitive price from those eBay Sellers. Things to calculate will be:

* Determine how much Gross Profit you will make. For example: (You buy it for $40 and Sell it for $90 and make $50 Gross!) EXAMPLE!
    * From the Sale Price $90, deduct 8.2% for the eBay and Paypal Fee's. (eBay for their Cut! and Paypal for Payment Received Fee's). eBay owns Paypal...
    * 8.2% of $90 is = $7.38! So your Net Profit is $42.62! If your Product Fits in a Large Flat Rate Box? The Shipping Expense is $11.65 Total at a Tax Rate of 10.4 here in Chicago. Im sure its cheaper everywhere else lol.
    * $42.62 - $11.65 = ($30.97) Your Net Profit! Which it used to be my average when I used to do eBay a few months ago.

The numbers change of course, according to your Sales Price of your Product but the Fee's % is still the same. If you manage to find a Diamond Seller that provides Drop Shipping services? What that is. It's basically that you never see the Product!. Your eBay Customer Buys it from you, you receive the Payment on Paypal, then you Buy the Product from your Supplier and the Supplier sends it by UPS, FedEx or DHL if you choose. If you go that route? You save on the $11.65 Shipping cost, but your Product will be deliver from a China Address. They do not include their company logo or any fliers! Just your product well packaged.

I personally like to see the Product and make sure its not broken before I send it to the eBay Customer because ebay Buyers are extremely picky!. They can also see that their product came from a USA address and makes them less skeptical, which is key. I hope this quick guide helps Michael, take it easy and happy marketing everyone...

HenryZayasOBU, Jul 22, 2012 IP
  14. pp77

pp77 Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have successfully sold a few items on ebay. So I'm certain if you're selling the right products, it could be profitable.

pp77, Jul 22, 2012 IP
  15. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You're about 5 years too late unless of course you're selling a unique product, in which case you'd likely do well with your own website anyway.

Selling and making a profit are not mutually exclusive. With the eBay fees, low margins, and high competition, it's tough to make money.

dcristo, Jul 22, 2012 IP
  16. icegin

icegin Peon

Best Answers:
    Depending on what you're selling, you can certainly still make a decent income with eBay. As others have noted though, it can be quite competitive if your products or sale prices aren't attractive enough -- not to mention the fees that are usually associated with selling things there.

icegin, Jul 23, 2012 IP
  17. pahosa

pahosa Peon

Best Answers:
    Although eBay has increased their fees (including PayPal) I personally think its a great way to make money if you have a great supplier IF you are trying to make it your main money supplier. But I know people who dabble on eBay where they would find a great sale or bargain on something, store it, and then sell it on eBay and make a decent amount of change. It's nothing that will allow you to quit your day job but hey in money is money right. I say it is something definitely worth looking into as a side job but as for making a boat load of money, I haven't really heard of an eBay business sustaining great momentum month after month, or even year after year. Speaking of which, capitalizing on specific holidays on a calendar to sell something that you know would be HOT in those months I think is also a good start for a business plan into eBay. Good Luck!

pahosa, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  18. snakemaster

snakemaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out Bidpalace, they offer free drop-shipping sources for their sellers. It only costs .50 to list any auction, no hidden fees.

snakemaster, Jul 27, 2012 IP
  19. movieman2

movieman2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good but 2000-2002 was the boom.

movieman2, Jul 27, 2012 IP
  20. ScottE

ScottE Peon

Best Answers:
    if you can sell on craigslist do it first..if your items still arent selling, then you have to move to a national audience with ebay or amazon....but try craigslist first as they dont have any fees like the others

ScottE, Aug 11, 2012 IP