1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Olympics lost it's touch...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by onaffit8, Aug 14, 2024.

Anyone else think the Olympics are not as great as they used to be? I feel like the enjoyment I had with the Olympics faded away ever since they got political...

onaffit8, Aug 14, 2024 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You must be old. The Olympics has been political forever. A shame you can't switch off and just enjoy the amazing feats of athleticism on display.

• Berlin 1936: The Nazi Olympics
    • London 1948: Germany and Japan Banned
    • Melbourne 1956: Two Protests
    • Mexico City 1968: Brutal Shooting and Civil Rights Protest
    • Munich 1972: Munich Massacre
    • Montreal 1976: African Countries Boycott Olympics
    • Rio de Janeiro 2016: Refugee Olympic Team

ref: https://www.britannica.com/list/7-significant-political-events-at-the-olympic-games

sarahk, Aug 15, 2024 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There were nations banned in this Olympics, as well. E.g., Russian athletes had to compete under a different entity name, I believe. Then, of course, there were the political issues of the transgender female boxer and the anti-Catholic opening ceremonies. But, as @sarahk pointed out, this is nothing new. Political activists always ramp up their antics at major public events, which the Olympics are. What they don't realize is that they are mostly hurting their cause when they do so because they simply anger most of the audience who is interested in sports, not politics.

I did want to mention that I thoroughly enjoyed the handball games. When I first saw the listing on the television, I was not interested. I thought that it would be two people slamming a ball against a wall. However, it is a team sport that seems to blend basketball, hockey, and Lacrosse into a single, indoor game. I enjoyed both the men's and the women's games when I could catch them.

The Turk "hitman" in the pistol shooting events was a big topic in my office, too.

jrbiz, Aug 30, 2024 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I didn't watch a single thing. Reading the comments on X and here, glad I didn't. Don't forget the full boycott of the games in 1980.

qwikad.com, Sep 1, 2024 IP
  5. Beckeren

Beckeren Active Member

Best Answers:
    It will never lost its touch, especially track & field events.

Beckeren, Sep 13, 2024 IP
  6. SteveWass

SteveWass Peon

Best Answers:
    I don’t know. I just enjoy the sport.

SteveWass, Sep 18, 2024 at 2:00 PM IP
  7. Hostragons

Hostragons Active Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of people feel the same way, especially when it comes to the increasing amount of politics in sports, including the Olympics. For many, the event was always about watching athletes from around the world compete at their best, without the added weight of political controversies or debates.

Hostragons, Sep 18, 2024 at 3:01 PM IP