1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Opinion needed on hiring freelance wrtiers

Discussion in 'General Business' started by dpuser09, Aug 7, 2011.

Hi,

I am looking to hire some freelance writers from freelancing sites to write some articles on Internet/web niche for a new site.

Even though i'm paying them for their services as work for hire and i should be owning the copyright to all work done, i'm not sure if i should be crediting them for work by mentioning their (author) name as the article writers specially since i intend to revise the articles as technology changes with time . So that means even though they were the original authors they would no longer be the sole writers since me or other people may modify the content as per needs.

Do you people mention author names when buying content from freelance writers or do yo not? More specifically when they are offshore based and i might not work with them long term. Also they may possibly duplicate it somewhere else as well over which most of the time you have no control. What are the pros and cons?

Maybe some example blogs/sites would help regarding how they go about this . Whether they keep author names annonymos by not mentioning at all any author names or proclaim it as a team effort.

dpuser09, Aug 7, 2011 IP
  2. dpuser09

dpuser09 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Has anyone got any suggestions?

dpuser09, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  3. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It all depend on the agreement between the buyer and seller. However, in most the case buyer will ask for the full copy right. 

lifeplayer, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  4. Beevok

Beevok Peon

Best Answers:
    As above, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be followed. What good is a contract if you cannot/will not enforce it.

Beevok, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  5. dpuser09

dpuser09 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes i do understand these issues but at the moment i'm deliberating whether to credit the writers(original author) or not since the articles will evolve with time and many writers may work on an article over a period of time. So who should the credit possibly go to...just credit the team (of writers) working for the site or don't mention anything about the author or anything else? What would be a better approach?

dpuser09, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  6. Andre91

Andre91 Peon

Best Answers:
    As for ownership, agreements can be made to attain full ownership over the articles.

Think of it this way:
    You own a company, you hire workers to work for the company and the articles are therefore owned by the company.

As for truth, honesty and goodwill, I usually put the name of the writer but the my company as the owners.
    However, if you intend to take the article and paraphrase it / summarize / modify, then it is actually your own article and the option is up to you to state it was inspired by John, Jane or whomever first rote the original.

Andre91, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  7. dpuser09

dpuser09 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Andre91 for sharing your opinion on this... I hope someone can point me to some example blogs/sites that update some of their content and i'd like to see how they go about their credits...

dpuser09, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  8. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ofcourse not, you paying the for the article or content writing . That is belong to you and not belong to the author, so you should not put the author name . It yours !!!!! You paid for it .
    Nowadays people do not like to hire a writer with googd duplicate writer, people looking for more creative writer which always like an attractive, quality and original.

JerrickYeoh, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  9. Reedo

Reedo Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear you... I found using Text Brokers has worked out the best. You can purchase at different quality/price levels. They deliver as stated, on time, and basically manage the details, people, coordination we would typically have to do which is not the fun part. If you find a great writer, you can come back, request the same person, etc. although possibly subject to the persons backlog at the time.

When you pay for an article, you own it... The good thing I like about Text Brokers is you can sort all your concerns out right up front, eliminate back end surprises, or disappointments, especially regarding quality.

Hope that helps-

Reedo, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  10. Joeyz

Joeyz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't put their name on article. Once you bought it, you own it. If other people are also going to edit and revise it over time, people I'm assuming you're paying to do that, that makes it even more yours. Besides which, if you did put the original authors name on it and revised it heavily, the original auther could come back and look at in 6 months and not even recognize it as his/her work.

Joeyz, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  11. GrantDraper

GrantDraper Active Member

Best Answers:
    I write for clients daily and never have my name on my articles. If the client pays for it; it's theirs!

GrantDraper, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  12. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whenever I write for my clients they always own full copyright to the article unless if they decide to let me have credit on their site via author name which is always appreciated but yes, the client should always get full copyright of the article. The writer should know that ahead of time before payment is completed. If you find out they are using your article then you could possibly dispute it out on PayPal or whatever kind of payment plan your using or just simply remove it from your website and let them know why and give them a warning. Having some kind of agreement signed before they start work can save you a lot of problems.

DreamingBig, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  13. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes... I always mention author name when i buying content from freelancers. Because I dealing with lots of freelanceers and this step helps me to managed my articles according to author name.

jhardy2008, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  14. Chrisz@AlertPay

Chrisz@AlertPay Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't want to mention the author's name, simply advertise that you are looking for ghostwriters. Depending on the subject matter this may actually entice more people to apply as they don't have to worry about their name being attached to a project that doesn't reflect them personally.

Chrisz@AlertPay, Aug 25, 2011 IP