1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

optimization questions

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by johnnyblotter, Jan 3, 2007.

Hi people,

I'm a relative newb to this so any advice is greatly appreciated. Here's what's going on - I made a silly mistake and created a lot of the graphics for my site at 300ppi. My files are a bit large, I think (not too bad though) and the interesting thing is this - when you click on the main links, the screen will flash while the graphics load, but only for certain sections. The header graphic and sidebars flashing is a bit annoying, it looks much better when they remain in place. A)Why do you think this is happening on only some of the main links and B) Should I re-open my 300ppi files and try to shrink them a bit? Should I just lower the quality? What do you think?

www.jontakiff.com

Thanks a lot!

johnnyblotter, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  2. popstalin

popstalin Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd open them up then copy the image into a new document set at 72dpi. You shouldn't ever use 300dpi on the web unless you're linking to a printable pdf of an ad or something like that.

popstalin, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  3. jayL

jayL Peon

Best Answers:
    This happens alots with beginners. Even I did the same mistake. The workaround if ever you are using photoshop is use the Image Size and downsize it to 72dpi using bicubic "sharper" (smoother will blur everything).

jayL, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  4. ThemePorter

ThemePorter Active Member

Best Answers:
    U should keep d reso to 300dpi only if ur intention is printing, such a high reso is a killer for web design... well to get a good compression i suggest that instead of straight away makin d reso to 72dpi, make it at 100dpi and den use d option "Save for Web" in photoshop, it will give u good compression and also a better quality.

ThemePorter, Jan 5, 2007 IP