1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Organising website content with CMS and PHP. Suggestions Required

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Ojos Así, Aug 27, 2008.

Hello everyone. I hope I have posted this in the right forum, it seemed the most appropriate.

I would like some help with organising the content on my website as I feel there must be a better way of doing it compared to what I am doing now. I would like my site to improve for SEO and also make it easier to change the whole layout of the site.

My website is a fansite for a music group. I use a CMS (ExpressionEngine) to display all of the news I post about the group. I have an index.php file in my CMS which has the layout of my site... it has the full coding for the header, a PHP include function to include a sidebar, then the CMS code that will display my news items, and then all of the code for the footer. I then have another CMS page that displays each news story individually, allowing for permalinks to news items.

The rest of my content is items such as song lyrics, biographies, discography etc. To display this I have a main.php file, which is identical to the index.php file, except instead of having the CMS code it has an include code to include the relevant html page. So these pages have a url such as main.php?c=lyrics

I have read that these types of URLs are not very good for SEO and may explain why my website is currently poorly ranked on Google. This also means that when I change the layout for my site I will have more than one page to alter.

What I would like is some suggestions as to how I can manage my content better so the SEO improves and general mangement is more effective. I guess the first thing I could do is create sperate pages for my header and footer and include them like the sidebar? But how can I further improve my site?

I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions people may have.

Thank you in advance.

Ojos Así, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  2. imphpguru

imphpguru Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Well, basically you have to use htaccess to get beautiful urls. You can use htaccess by adding rewrite rules. You will have to edit you ExpressionsEngine CMS to make SEO friendly urls. I have made a CMS which uses such urls. Have a look at www.freebetsgalore.com. Tell me what you think.

imphpguru, Aug 27, 2008 IP