1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pasting an image into or over an existing image

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by dinrock, Sep 17, 2010.

Let's say I have an image or illustration open in my PS6 work area. How do I paste or insert a smaller image into or on top that exisitng image I have open?

dinrock, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  2. kevydesigns

kevydesigns Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    create a new layer?

kevydesigns, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  3. parkerkrist

parkerkrist Peon

Best Answers:
    yea create a new layer on it and it will be done ..

parkerkrist, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  4. dinrock

dinrock Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After alot of "trial & error" nd practice, I learned on my own. Thanks though.....the indication of saying "create a new layer" just did not help. For anyone following this thread though, do this:

1. Open image you want to put another image onto or into.
    2. Open image you plan to paste. Use "polygonal lasso" tool to go around and cut or "highlight" the image in question.
    3. Then while the dotted pattern is activated arounfd that image, go to EDIT>COPY>minimize the image.
    4. Navigate up to LAYER>NEW>LAYER
    5. Magic part is when you go to EDIT>PASTE

On that vertical tool strip on left side of your work area, go up to top and that right symbol of the arrow + image, click on that and use that to drag your pasted image around to the exact spot your need it on your original . . . . pretty cool!

dinrock, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  5. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's an easier way to do this too.

1. Start by opening both images needed; the one to copy, and the one to paste to.
    2. On the image you want to copy from, do as you did and use the lasso tool to make a selection of the part you're wanting to copy.
    3. Once you have the selection tool made, make sure you have the lasso tool still selected, and right click inside of the selection. Choose Layer Via Copy.
    4. Now right click the newly created layer in the layers palette and choose Duplicate Layer. When prompted with the Duplicate Layer window, in the Destination pane, choose the document you want to paste to.
    5. Now switch to the second image that you pasted to, and you should have a new layer with the copied image.

Piggy, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  6. dinrock

Best Answers:
    Greatly appreciated....well, I can certainly follow all of this, but believe I may have encountered another technique to avoid using the polygonal lasso tool altogether. I recently posted a separate thread pertaining to avoiding the polygonal....and this process is extremely tedious when doing meticulous work like for image maps and so forth. Basically I have been attempting to access information on how I can still copy an actual image without the polygonal. It is actually the time factor involved, when using this lasso that is so tedious, and if you make one mistep and go out of the work area, you pull the tool all over the page and need to go back and start all over....that, plus it's very hard on the eyes when staring for prolonged periods, trying to "cut" out an image.

Thank you though!

dinrock, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  7. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, if you mess up, you can just hold shift while using the lasso tool to add to the current selection and fix the messup.

Piggy, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  8. rcdesigns

rcdesigns Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello. This could be done simply by creating a new layer and simple copy paste. Best of luck :)
    Regards

rcdesigns, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  9. dinrock

Best Answers:
    RC: Thanks....you mean by actually NOT using the polygonal lasso, just creating a new layer, then going to IMAGE or EDIT>COPY and then paste?

dinrock, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  10. Marc Schlesinger

Marc Schlesinger Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes just by holding down the CTRL and press V ;)

Marc Schlesinger, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  11. david.rew1164

david.rew1164 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude u seem to be an amateur with psd for you this may be the the solution but people working on photoshop would never waste any time there are a number of ways to do it fast and more accurate.

david.rew1164, Oct 3, 2010 IP