1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PC based content management software

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by engadven, Mar 18, 2008.

I'm trying to find out how many decent PC based content management systems there are.
    Not like contribute or other page editors but ones that have actual databases like a traditional server based cms but keep the data file off line e.g. on the local PC.
    I've done a Google search and found a few but I'd appreciate some suggestions if you've used any good ones.

engadven, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  2. WHC - Travis

WHC - Travis Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't think of one either, does anyone have any good suggestions? I need one for Mac OS X though...

WHC - Travis, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  3. engadven

engadven Peon

Best Answers:
    I think rapid weaver is a nice example for macs but as I don't have a Mac I'm not exactly sure how much it is WYSIWYG or CMS based. But there's no PC version anyway.
    They might also be known as site builders as they can be targeted at novices who don't have the skills or desires to maintain online databases.
    We make one and i just want to see what if any competition is out there.

engadven, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  4. toytown

toytown Peon

Best Answers:
    toytown, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  5. engadven

engadven Peon

Best Answers:
    I understood coldfusion was a server side script language like .asp. The coldfusion cms shown in the link is server side.
    No one seems to promote their cms as being PC based as it's not the thing people look for but I'm trying to get a feel for whether people actualy know about or understand this type of technology
    In the early days of dynamic sites lots of people used to use DB to HTML techniques and parsing technologies like blogger are server side developments of these early programs.
    I thought there would still be some programs out there that people like and use. Client side database CMSs are different to server sides like Joomla and WP so have time when they are more appropriate to use and times when not.
    I'm getting the impression very few if anyone uses PC based CMS techniques and most probably don't even know it exists, rather than have tried it and don't like it.

engadven, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  6. WHC - Travis

WHC - Travis Peon

Best Answers:
    I use server side stuff because I am familiar with how they work and I'd rather not waste time on the client side making sites. I'm not saying its a bad idea; I have no experience with CMS on PCs/macs because I have grown up coding on dream weaver and programs like notepad ++. It's better to know how to code from scratch anyways; bigger career opportunities.

WHC - Travis, Mar 21, 2008 IP