1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Photoshop CS5 or Illustrator CS5?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by elli_boy, Aug 10, 2010.

Which do prefer in designing? As a designer I also stick on photoshop but since I uses illustrator, it makes sense on my designing.

But for everybody who's confused whether they'll use photoshop or illustrator please give them infos on these 2 powerful programs. I think your suggestions will help! ;)

elli_boy, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  2. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'll go with Photoshop CS3 but basically depends on peoples work and knowledge they can choose anything.

karthimx, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  3. elli_boy

elli_boy Active Member

Best Answers:
    well I was a fanatic of Photoshop before..I'll consider that though.. ;)

elli_boy, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  4. LoveArtHope

LoveArtHope Peon

Best Answers:
    I like them both, but for different purposes. I am very versed in Photoshop though, and have had only limited experience with Illustrator. If you want to ensure fewer jaggies and a smooth texture to lines, espcecially text, I would probably say Illustrator, though I've noticed my PS=C has some issues regardless of the program. Illustrator is great for vector smooth logos for example, but lacks some of the filter and design tricks of photoshop. At the same time the ability to manipulate paths and shapes is a positive of Illustrator. I don't think either is superior to the other, and can often be used together to create a finished work.

I am actually looking for information on books to study illustrator, especially for web design and in creating banners and logos. I'd say Illustrator is probably also better for print, though Photoshop's slice tool makes it optimal for laying out web pages.

LoveArtHope, Aug 12, 2010 IP
  5. CampaignChampaign

CampaignChampaign Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually do a little work with Adobe. What are your thoughts on the upgrades that were included in Photoshop CS5?

CampaignChampaign, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  6. iEddie_B

iEddie_B Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop, just because of its universal flexibility. Illustrator is great for many things (text creation being one of them) but you'll find it much easier to do more things in PS5.

iEddie_B, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  7. elli_boy

elli_boy Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me all of my knowledge about Photoshop can be applied to Illustrator..I love the crisp line that illustrator has, and I can manage to do a professional logo in just hours. In the other side, I'm also well versed on Photoshop but then the pixels makes me disappointed. Though it's so powerful to images but to build a logo I think I rather go to illustrator. But Adobe do great job by having these programs that can make beautiful creations. I'm two thumbs up for both programs! :) :) :)

elli_boy, Aug 14, 2010 IP
  8. Doxeay

Doxeay Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Photoshop for the basic parts and Illustrator for the logos... it depends...

Doxeay, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  9. ThatThing

ThatThing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well each of them has some pros and cons, so if you want to design professionally you should learn both.

ThatThing, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  10. KrysisDesign

KrysisDesign Peon

Best Answers:
    For the web design work I do I stick to photoshop because bitmap images are best made in photoshop which is what sites are made from, I rarely ever see vectorbased sites, and so my business is with photoshop.

Now when designing logos and print material I stick to illustrator because vector images are the smoothest and the colors print very nicely.

SO basically:

Photoshop= Anything not going to be actually printed/web graphics, icons, interfaces, photoshop manipulations, digital painting.
    Illustrator= Printed materials such as business cards, logos, identity based images, illustrations that will be printed.

KrysisDesign, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  11. Wynd

Wynd Peon

Best Answers:
    Really depends on what you like doing the best: If you are into photo-manipulation, site designs, etc, Photoshop is your best bet. But for the logo designers where resizing is highly necessary and vector products are god, go Illustrator.

Wynd, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  12. presentatives

presentatives Peon

Best Answers:
    I am prefer to Photoshop, but CS2 version

presentatives, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  13. elli_boy

elli_boy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah! You've got a point there!

elli_boy, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  14. herri

herri Peon

Best Answers:
    what file do you want? if you want to process vector using ilustrator but if you want to process bitmap use photoshop

herri, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  15. GokuDBZ

GokuDBZ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Photoshop = for text effects & other abstract designing.

Illustrator = for create shapes & symbols from the scratch.

GokuDBZ, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  16. Jaz

Jaz Peon

Best Answers:
    I use both, because I need them both since some features on PS cant be found on AI and vice versa.

Jaz, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  17. UnBooked

UnBooked Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd definitely go with Photoshop CS5. It has been recommended by numerous acquaintances of mine and they had nothing but glowing reviews to make for it.

UnBooked, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  18. Dawey

Dawey Peon

Best Answers:
    PS, IL and ID all provide some short cuts for the other two. Learn all of 'em good and you can work with high production speed! :)

Dawey, Aug 31, 2010 IP