1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Photoshop & Illustrator: what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by SpeedyJay, Sep 26, 2011.

I only know how to use (beginner-mode) Photoshop. Why is Illustrator better for creating logos, banners, etc?

SpeedyJay, Sep 26, 2011 IP
    ApocalypseXL likes this.
  2. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Illustrator is vector based graphic program. Since vectors can be made to fit at anyy dimmensions that's is considered a plus , however my dear countryman do now this Illustrator is tough to learn (nashparliu) and even tougher to use to achieve the same results as Photoshop . To put it in a simple way it's 10x to 20x faster to use Photoshop rather then illustrator for a large number of things .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 26, 2011 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Photoshop for quick'n'dirty screen/web based stuff, and Illustrator for real world stuff (printing, tshirts, future/size proofing).
    Illustrator is the proper way to design logos. Anything created in Illustrator can be scaled up for billboards etc. If you're doing corporate work, or making logos for people that will need real world printing done, then Illustrator is the safest way to do it.
    Photoshop is fine for creating logos that are going to be web only. If you can, do your work at 300/600dpi, so you can get business cards and other smallish things printed if you need to.
    If you're making web banners for a specific pixel size, use Photoshop.

Kerosene, Sep 27, 2011 IP
  4. sphere1

sphere1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop and Illustrator are two different programs that offer very different things. Photoshop is mainly for photo manipulation but you can also do some drawing on it but it is not as good as Illustrator. Illustrator is a vector based program which allows you to draw vector items. Vector is math based and will basically allow you more freedom if you are going to create something that will need to be various sizes since vector shapes are 'math' based you won't have problems with things being pixelated when they are made larger

sphere1, Sep 27, 2011 IP
  5. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually when it come to t-shirts you're quite fine with Photoshop as well , you just have to be careful not to go crazy with the special effects . In fact the t-shirt industry has the best software in the shape of Photoshop plug-ins .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 27, 2011 IP
  6. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    300dpi minimum at actual size, or you will get a blurry soggy looking print :)

Kerosene, Sep 27, 2011 IP
  7. SpeedyJay

SpeedyJay Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ..so, Illustrator is a lot more complex than Photoshop :)
    Thank you

SpeedyJay, Sep 28, 2011 IP
  8. 5/1 Generator

5/1 Generator Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say Illustrator indeed has a steeper learning curve than Photoshop. But they have different purposes, even if some of their functions overlap. Like the name suggests, Photoshop is great for manipulating and adjusting photos and graphics. But Illustrator allows you to conveniently modify and adjust shapes.

You can do a heck of a lot if you learn to use them in tandem. If the need arises, I'll modify an element of a design in Photoshop, then import it into my design in Illustrator. For example, I like to make customized birthday cards for my friends. I'll grab images off the web, take out/adjust the parts I want using Photoshop, then arrange all the parts using Illustrator.

5/1 Generator, Sep 28, 2011 IP
  9. myrocky

myrocky Peon

Best Answers:
    if you are creating logos or banners.. .you should vector based softwares in order to have quality images.. .what i mean is that images that are not pixelated when you try to enlarge the image.. .AI and Corel are great at that.. .although PS can also generate that but for me, i only use them to edit photos.. .

myrocky, Oct 9, 2011 IP