1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Photoshop question

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by EZ_BUSINEZZ, Dec 21, 2009.

I've used Photoshop for over a year now but this is one thing that I've never really thought about.

Say I have an image which is rectangular, and in that image there is some text.

Whats the best way to cut out the text into a ROUNDED rectangle. I know the normal rectangle is easy, and previously I have just added a rectangle shape rasterized the layer used the magic wand, go back over to the image layer and copy it. RATHER LONG WINDED/SILLY.

If anyone knows other ways how to would be brill.

EZ_BUSINEZZ, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  2. munjie

munjie Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it was used to cut pats

munjie, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  3. photoshoppie

photoshoppie Peon

Best Answers:
    You have rounded rectangle in custom shape tool, select that and select the area how much u want for the text removal; and press ctrl+enter and press del. that much area will be deleted from the image layer or whichever layer is in selection. :)
    I hope this will help.

p.s , Dont keep shape layers checked,select paths selection.

photoshoppie, Dec 21, 2009 IP
  4. Nezine

Nezine Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not create a new layer and then make a round rectangle by choosing from custom shape tool then make it transparent. Now select the area you need, copy merged and paste it in a new canvas. Using magic wand remove the previous image from the corners and you will have what you need - if you do it right.

Nezine, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  5. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    Wow, suprising to see that I'm not the only one who does this. I always end up using shapes in photoshop because they're really quite versatile. Considering that there's no rounded rectangle marquee select tool, then I think that there is no straightforward option and this way may be the quickest.

Hecky, Dec 23, 2009 IP
  6. BabBarDeL

BabBarDeL Peon

Best Answers:
    Create a new layer in front of your normal rectangle layer. Add there a rounded rectangle. Right Click and apply a Mask. That should be a good way.

BabBarDeL, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  7. Shelley_c

Shelley_c Member

Best Answers:
    Or you could convert the font type to a vector layer and then copy and paste the type (vector) into the same layer as the rectangle and then subtract from shape layer.

Benefits of this is you can re-size at will without loss in quality. Normally I would use a mask but in this case I would use the method I described above. Each to their own I suppose, Everyone has their own technique to get the same effect.

Shelley_c, Dec 30, 2009 IP